Flint Area Tabletop RPG and Board Gamers Message Board › Rise of the Runelords -- Pathfinder campaign starting in Flint

Rise of the Runelords -- Pathfinder campaign starting in Flint

Bobby K
Kleam
Davison, MI
Post #: 18
Ok so I'm having trouble deciding on a spell right now. I need some help.

Right now I have my choices narrowed down too...

Disrupt Undead - Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.
Detect Posion - Detects poison in one creature or object.
Resistance - Subject gains +1 bonus on saving throws.
Stabilize - Cause a dying creature to stabilize.

I need to pick one of the following for now. Any suggestions?
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 286
If I had to go with losing one of those it would probably be Detect Poison. For one, the other cleric could choose it as needed on a daily basis. Second, You gain instant effects from the other three (you do damage to undead, you do gain a +1 to saving throws, you do stabilize a dying character).

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 25
I agree about losing Detect Poison as one of your choices. Without knowing what John the Cleric has taken for his spell selections, I'd probably lean towards Stabilize just so you can prevent characters from bleeding out even if you can't heal them right away. No idea how much Undead we'll be facing so I'm not sure how much use Disrupt Undead would be. Resistance could be useful situationally.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 287

I was asking a question about my stats on the rise of the runelords link
off the Flint tabletop page. I'm thinking of lowering my Wisdom and Con
to boost strength for better combat.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.

John D
IMO I would stick with a higher Wisdom for a pure Cleric class, if you are thinking about multi classing as a fighter or fighter type I would start out there so that it becomes your favored class.

When you gain a level you can choose to advance in your current class or take a level in another class. If the advancement is in your favored class you gain an additional benefit. The base benefit is +1 skill point or +1 to your hit points. Also racial benefits apply to many of the base classes as well.

Right now it looks like there are two primary melee characters. The rest can act as back up melee or as primary ranged based character or "support" as in the case of the halfling bard.

If you want a melee hardy cleric you may want to change you domains to fit that profile (maybe Destruction, Glory, Strength or War).

The biggest issue with dropping your Wisdom is the possible loss of being able to access spells at higher levels. You can only cast a spell of a level that does not exceed your Wisdom score -10. I.E. you must have a Wisdom of 15 to cast 5th level spells, 17 to cast 7th level spells, etc... Of course there are ways of buffing Wisdom later (such as gaining an ability score bonus every 4th level or through magical items) but the higher it is starting out the better off the character will be.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 288

Okay Bobby, I have a question. According to the Class Description the Inquisitor begins with four 0 level spells. If that is the case do you have three other spells picked out and want to round it out with one of these four?

A bit confused on the question now.
Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 26
If you're thinking about making a Melee capable Cleric I'd drop your Wisdom no lower than a 16. I wouldn't drop your Constitution at all, in fact I might increase it to 14. I don't mind starting with a Wisdom of 16 because of the level boosts for your attributes. I go in knowing I plan on using them to boost my Wisdom exclusively. Plus, as John B said, there are also magic items that can boost your Wisdom. The generic stat array I'd probably use if I was making a Cleric with melee capabilities would be something like this:
Str 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Cha 14

You wouldn't be the best melee combatant, but you would hold your own most likely. You've already got an extra skill point from being human, and if you wanted more you could use your favored class bonus for that, although I'd go with the extra hit point if you wanted to be in melee. The Charisma of 14 would give you three more uses of Channel Positive Energy per day over your original score of 8. That extra healing could come in very handy post fight, or even during the fight if absolutely necessary.

As far as Domain selection goes, I don't see a conflict with the ones you've chosen. You can always be a shepherd of the faithful, keeping watch over them as they're on a pilgrimage. Or, consider your melee capabilities a way for you to help liberate others and keep your friends safe on their travels.
John
user 3736887
Flint, MI
Post #: 3
If you're thinking about making a Melee capable Cleric I'd drop your Wisdom no lower than a 16. I wouldn't drop your Constitution at all, in fact I might increase it to 14. I don't mind starting with a Wisdom of 16 because of the level boosts for your attributes. I go in knowing I plan on using them to boost my Wisdom exclusively. Plus, as John B said, there are also magic items that can boost your Wisdom. The generic stat array I'd probably use if I was making a Cleric with melee capabilities would be something like this:
Str 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Cha 14

At first I didn't think I could get those many scores so high, but I see now I was wrong. You really get penalized for marking a single ability towards the max. How often do you get ability points to spend?

Somebody above said it was 1/per four levels? That sounds about right, because I think that coincides with icewind dale 2 which was 3.5 rules.

I'm thinking hardiness will be important earlier on, rather than later & wisdom will be important later on rather than earlier.

That breakdown looks fairly workable, I think I will go with that with some minor tweaks.

Thanks you have the inside track on spending those points the most efficient way possible.
Bobby K
Kleam
Davison, MI
Post #: 19

Okay Bobby, I have a question. According to the Class Description the Inquisitor begins with four 0 level spells. If that is the case do you have three other spells picked out and want to round it out with one of these four?

A bit confused on the question now.

Yes I'm looking for my 4th 0level spell. As of right now I have...

Light - for those that need it.
Acid Splash - for dmg
Detect Magic - obvious

Trying to figure out what could be useful to the group.
Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 27
Str 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Cha 14

At first I didn't think I could get those many scores so high, but I see now I was wrong. You really get penalized for marking a single ability towards the max. How often do you get ability points to spend?

Somebody above said it was 1/per four levels? That sounds about right, because I think that coincides with icewind dale 2 which was 3.5 rules.

I'm thinking hardiness will be important earlier on, rather than later & wisdom will be important later on rather than earlier.

That breakdown looks fairly workable, I think I will go with that with some minor tweaks.

Thanks you have the inside track on spending those points the most efficient way possible.

Yes, you get a +1 bonus to one ability score every four levels.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 289

Yes I'm looking for my 4th 0level spell. As of right now I have...

Light - for those that need it.
Acid Splash - for dmg
Detect Magic - obvious

Trying to figure out what could be useful to the group.
Detect Magic is good but between the Cleric and Bard it should be covered if you want to pick something else, just a thought.

Light lasts 10 min/level but of course you can cast it every ten minutes...
Torches or a lantern might be a better solution for a 1st level group if you would like to pick a different more useful orison. Again, maybe the Bard might want to step up for that since it would be a helpful thing to do. If you are looking at a blaster type character you might want to build it from 0 level spells on up with that idea and leave the support features for the Bard.

Since both the Bard and the Inquisitor must pick their spells from the get go I would suggest the two of you work out your lists so that each offers a different set of cantrips. Again, if the Bard is looking for a support type character he should be looking at spells like Detect Magic and Light.