align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Flint Area Tabletop RPG and Board Gamers Message Board › Edge of the Empire 1 shot

Edge of the Empire 1 shot

Iategod
user 12157577
Holly, MI
Post #: 60
I was convinced by a friend to run a 1 shot campaign of Fantasy Flights new star wars license, Edge of the Empire. We currently have 2 people and we are looking for 2 more. The game is being held on march 7 (thur) at my place at 2pm. Should last 4 hours. The campaign is the beginner’s box set with pre gens, dice, maps, etc.

Again this is only a 1 shot even though there are follow up campaigns for free on their website. It’s mostly a test of the final rule system before they release the non-beta rulebook in the 2nd quarter of this year (probably at gen con, again). Those interested should email to reserve your spot and get location address and contact info.
Sully
seluR_ziW_ezeehC
Grand Blanc, MI
Post #: 278
Fantasy Flight games, they did a lot of 3rd party D&D stuff. Is this test basically a d20 offshoot? Or is it to be a new system entirely?
Iategod
user 12157577
Holly, MI
Post #: 61
It is a new system entirely. It's akin to an mmo feel where in you pick a profession with a skill set then spend xp to gain skills (feats) and characteristics for said prof. Its sandbox so you can pickup more profs later in your character career at the cost of a little more xp.

In the 1shot there's a level gain and they break it down very simply for new players. On top of that the dice system is not numeric aside from probability. Skill checks are made based on a stat (dex 2) and the corresponding skill (range combat 3) much like other games. However instead of adding the number you take the lowest number of those 2 characteristics (in our example above 2 from dex) and upgrade the higher number (3 from range combat) that many times. So normally a skill check for your dex is only 2d8, when you use it for range combat you'll role 2d10 and 1d8 for a total of 3 dice, 2 upgraded from d8 to d10. Each dice have a certain amount of success symbols and failure symbols which cancel each other out. Only need 1 success to success in the skill check.

The interesting part of the system is that oppose roles are rolled into your check at the same time. And they added symbols that introduce advantages and disadvantages. So you can succeed but have a disadvantage at the same time, or vice versa. "You successfully slice the security terminal during the firefight, however you had to expose yourself from cover to do so."

It's much easier to understand after a few rolls than to explain in type..... trust me

Beginner's Box set info]

10 questions bout EotE
Sully
seluR_ziW_ezeehC
Grand Blanc, MI
Post #: 279
Well, I am always up for a new game. Combine that with my availability next week and my inability to commit to a regular game. I would be happy to fill one of the slots.

Just shoot me an email with an address on Wednesday.

Sully
GrumpyOldGamer.net
user 51076172
Flint, MI
Post #: 19
I would like to come, I can get a ride there on Your Ride but would like a ride home to Pierson and I75 in NW Flint if possible cuz one never knows when a game session is gonna end.....
Paul R.
user 10189942
Clio, MI
Post #: 200
I wouldn't mind playing. I actually just ran that mod last weekend with a group of my friends. Of course they did what every player group does do a pre-made adventure and went the wrong way that was meant to happen :)

Will the game be held down in Holly? Just have to see if I can make it down there and if I am not working (I'm an EMT and shifts open up all the time :(
Iategod
user 12157577
Holly, MI
Post #: 62
Yes. It would be held at my work/home in holly. Across the street from the hungry Howies there. I only have room for 2 since I have 2 already 100% coming. The game will have to end at 6pm or soon after since I run an adult foster home and they eat dinner at that time. Don't want to piss off 6 hungry 80 year olds. They will not interfere with the game.
GrumpyOldGamer.net
user 51076172
Flint, MI
Post #: 20
I am in for the game and sully has verified he will give me a ride to the game..... pls let us know how to find ya (Address)
GrumpyOldGamer.net
user 51076172
Flint, MI
Post #: 21
PS I canceled the Zombicide game I usually run on Thurs nights so really am looking forward to trying a new game!