Flint Area Tabletop RPG and Board Gamers Message Board › Pathfinder spells granting feat abilities

Pathfinder spells granting feat abilities

Closed to new replies

John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 358
Playing around with the concept for Pathfinder and just looking for constructive feedback. Really haven't researched it other than looking at the core rule book so far but I thought I would throw out some sample spells I whipped up today.
Also posted on the enworld Forums.

Archer’s Frenzy I
School: enchantment (compulsion); Level: Bard 2, Ranger 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1, Summoner 1, Witch 1
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Components: V, S
Range: Personal or touch (see below)
Target: Self or living creature touched (see below)
Duration: see below
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes (harmless)
Archer’s Frenzy I grants recipient the effects of the Point Blank Feat for the duration of the spell. If the recipient already possesses the feat then the spell has no effect.
When cast by a bard or ranger, the spell has a target of self only but lasts for 1 minute per level. When cast by a sorcerer, summoner, witch, or wizard the spell has a target of one living creature touched but the duration is only 1 round per level.

Archer’s Frenzy II
School: enchantment (compulsion); Level: Bard 3, Ranger 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2, Summoner 2, Witch 2
Archer’s Frenzy II grants recipient the effects of the Point Blank Feat and the Precise Shot Feat for the duration of the spell. The spell will not grant any additional benefits if the recipient already has either feat. Thus if a character with Point Blank Shot is the target of this spell, she would gain the additional benefits of the Precise Shot but no other benefits for the Point Blank Feat.
When cast by a bard or ranger, the spell has a target of self only but lasts for 1 minute per level. When cast by a sorcerer, summoner, witch, or wizard the spell has a target of one living creature touched but the duration is only 1 round per level.

Archer’s Frenzy III
School: enchantment (compulsion); Level: Bard 4, Ranger 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 3, Summoner 3, Witch 3
Archer’s Frenzy III grants the recipient the effects of the Point Blank, Precise Shot, and Rapid Shot Feats for the duration of the spell. The spell will not grant any additional benefits if the recipient already has one of the feats. Thus if a character with Point Blank Shot is the target of this spell, she would gain the additional benefits of the Rapid Shot but no other benefits for the Point Blank Feat. The recipient must also meet the prerequisite requirements for any feats temporarily gained, or the effects of the feat are not gained as part of the spell effect. Thus, a character with a Dexterity less than 13 or a BAB of less than +1 would not gain the effects of the Rapid Shot feat as part of this spell’s effects.

edit: changed school from transmutation to enchantment (compulsion) -- taking my que from the Bestow Weapon proficiency from the Ultimate Combat source book.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 359
Finished my first draft of possibly my first publishable material. Feel free to review and post any critiques here.
The Spell-Works Compendium Volume I
Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 58
Minor thing, but I'd add that the effects of the spell cannot be made permanent via the Permanency spell. Not sure about the Wish spell, that's more DM fiat.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 360
Didn't think about that but I can add that under the general description of the Feat Emulation section. Thanks. If you can use a wish to add a feat, then I don't think there would be an issue making the spell permanent with a Wish, I will have to do some research.

Came up with the following to put in the pdf

Feat Emulation Spells and Permanency
Spells that emulate feats may be made permanent at the same cost as other spells made permanent. Thus the minimum caster level is equal to 9th level plus the spell level minus one. Mass spells cannot be made permanent and no individual may have more than one feat emulation spell made permanent at a time. If another feat emulation spell is cast on the individual with an existing permanent feat emulation spell, the caster must make a check as if dispelling the existing spell with a +5 modification to the DC. If successful, then the permanent spell is dispelled and the new spell’s effect is gained, otherwise the spell being cast automatically fails. Such a spell is NOT permanent unless another permanency spell is cast on the individual again.

Would you think allowing any of these spells made permanent break or be too over powering? What if the material costs were doubled (right now the minimum cost would be 5K gp for a single feat emulated). Or possibly set the minimum caster level equal to 9th + spell level being made permanent (current rules reflect the wording above). This would increase the cost by at least 2.5K.
Steven S.
user 64650792
Flint, MI
Post #: 32
any spell that grants feats leads to above and to magic items, Feats are designed to allow players to build similar, BUT different abilities. By making feats into spells, suddenly everyone is a master archer, or a master swordsman, no training needed just step up and cast a spell and be as tough as any fighter. personally I like an extra feat or two but let me have the abilitie to increase beyond that, and I would go wild with power.
As for magic items that grant feat type abilities, the creator has to have that feat in order to create that item.
Sorry to sound so heave handed, but this is a route one of my old groups tried and didn't last long.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 361
First off, the spells I am suggesting would have limits (minutes of operation at most) so you couldn't use them to qualify for having the feat for creating magic items.

Second, with the rules additions I am suggesting just for these specific types of spells you really could not create a master anything by the temporary addition of a feat or two or three. Using the spells I am suggesting you cannot stack them on the same individual so it isn't like you can make someone the ulitmate fighter by granting them power attack with combat expertise with combat reflexes with cleave etc, etc...

The only real issue I can foresee that I really haven't considered with imprinting the spells into magic items like wands and potions. I could see someone taking them and potioning them up so you could end up with Power Attack or Combat Expertise in a bottle. I may have to ponder on the ramifications of this and do some research. My first thought is that the effect is enchantment(compulsion) and maybe off the potionable list.

Sorry to sound so heavy handed, but this is a route one of my old groups tried and didn't last long.
Can you provide more info on this, what exactly did the group try to do and why didn't it last long?
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 362
Officially Published my first product biggrin
Spell-Works Compendium Volume I
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 380
Promoting my Facebook Page for the Knotty-Works. Anyone that likes the Knotty-Works facebook page will receive a message with a link a special deal for the Spell Works Compendium I for only $1.49. Offer is good for October or until we reach 300 likes.