Flint Area Tabletop RPG and Board Gamers Message Board › Witch Class Options for Pathfinder

Witch Class Options for Pathfinder

John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 367
One of my favorite classes from 3.5 was the Warlock from the Complete Arcane splat book. I have tried redoing the class from the ground up but came up with an idea the other day to just shoe horn it into the Witch class in Pathfinder. It isn't a perfect fit and I really am not attempting to replicate the class exactly, but just some of the features that made it really cool (IMO). I have added my first draft under files (see link). There isn't any fluff at this point, my final product will include some text and images to give it some polish.
Feel free to take a look and offer constructive criticism as desired. Again, if you just want to bash the idea then I really am not interested in that opinion, but if you have concerns in regards to relative character power compared to other classes feel free to voice them but be prepared to back it up. Anyone that offers relevant and useable feedback will be sent a complimentary copy of the final product once it gets submitted to DriveThruRPG. At this point I am hoping to get it submitted for publication by the 22nd of September.
Witch Options
Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 66
Just so I know which system I'd be evaluating it in, are you re-doing the Warlock for Pathfinder, basing it off the Witch class there, or are you re-doing it for 3.5 and basing it off the design of the Pathfinder Witch? Just wasn't clear to me reading this.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 368
No money to be made doing 3.5 stuff anymore (other than selling your WotC splat books), gotta look forward not back. So Pathfinder is the target rule set. I am tackling the witch class and creating some mechanics to let it emulate the warlock to an extent. Again, the point isn't to exactly duplicate but to give it some of the feel of the 3.5 class. So the hex bolt is similar to the eldritch blast but it has its own mechanics, range is different, etc.

Jonathan M
Bakunin
Otisville, MI
Post #: 67
I'll have to go through it more for other feedback, but one thing I'd consider for both the hex bolt and melee damage dealing hex are dumping the I-IX versions and doing a minor, major, grand hex version, say 3d6 minor, 6d6 major, 9d6 grand.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 369
I'll have to go through it more for other feedback, but one thing I'd consider for both the hex bolt and melee damage dealing hex are dumping the I-IX versions and doing a minor, major, grand hex version, say 3d6 minor, 6d6 major, 9d6 grand.
That isn't a bad idea, maybe scale the damage based on class level say 1d6 per 3 levels with max of 3d6 for normal hex, 6d6 for major, and grand would just be 9d6. Also working on a shadowstrike hex that uses the I thru IX mechanic and redoing it in a similar manner would works as well.
Much appreciated. smile

Redoing the Hex Bolt and Hex Infusion (renamed Hex Forged) freed up more hexes so I converted many of the hex based feats to other hexes (plus it is has sparked more ideas for major and grand hexes for conditions).
New Witch Options
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 370
New Witch Options
Moved stuff around, some text changes and renaming of hexes. Includes the text to be used for the intro sections in the final product. Still thinking of more hexes (major and/or grand) and want to do a archetype for a trickster witch - thoughts right now are a gremlin for a familiar and I will have to come up with one or two other class options.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 377
PDF has been created and now we wait... I hate submitting stuff on Friday nights or Saturdays because that means it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before it goes live. Thinking of creating a preview pdf that includes some of the witch stuff, a couple spells from my previous products to see if that can entice some sales.
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 378
File has been pulled as the commercial product has been released.
Advancing with Class: The Witch
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 379
Special Discount for FATRPG Members and Friends
FATRPG Advancing with Class Witch Discount
Normal Price $3.49, FAT RPG price $2.79