Flint Area Tabletop RPG and Board Gamers Message Board › Pathfinder Empire of Velanir - Saturday Game

Pathfinder Empire of Velanir - Saturday Game

A former member
Post #: 63
Campaign Setting:
I will get into it more during the session, but here is a brief description of the environment the players will find themselves in.

It is common knowledge in the known world that the Empire of Velanir is a Magocracy. Ruled by mages in the Capital of Benot the members of the Magocracy are harsh rulers made up of over 80 elder mages. At present, the Empire of Velanir continues to expand its territory into the eastern kingdoms made up of numerous kingdoms, none agreeing on anything and no interest in uniting against Velanir.

It is also common knowledge, perhaps a little too common, for agents of the magocracy known as the Mage Hunters, to travel throughout Velanir testing children for magic potential. Those they find to have such potential are taken from their families and whisked away to the capital to undergo training. Training, that, leads the children to never again see their families.

Though there is a known resistance movement, they are extremely secretive as any knowledge of any member passed to the magocracy could easily lead to the divination of their location and the end of the resistance, this is not the first resistance. It is believed the resistance have found little support in the eastern kingdoms despite the obvious nature of the Velanir magocracy.

----- From the DM
Players will find playing an 'unregistered' mage, difficult, but doable and possibly very entertaining. Magic users who are 'unregistered' per the laws of Velanir are often put to death depending on how old they are and the strength of their magic. Druids, Clerics, and other forms of "magic" are accepted but still require registration and are treated similarly when unregistered people are found.

Trade between the western and eastern kingdoms is nonexistent, however, smuggled items often make it across the border until the name or description of the smuggler is discovered and then the mages utilize divination to discover the smugglers location and generally they end up dead.

It should be noted that the general populace are not in favor of the tyrannical mages but are too scared to do anything about it. It is not possible to play a registered mage or a servant of the Magocracy. I do not want this to discourage players from playing mages, I feel it will be entertaining and enjoyable if anyone decides to.

Feel free to ask questions or email me directly. I will add more here as more comes up.
viperp12@gmail.com
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 371
The idea of mage hunters sounds very similar to what I came up for my Amastasia game for 3.5. The Amastasian empire is ruled by a single emperor that was raised to distrust wizards and spell casters so the military booted out or killed most within the empire unless they agreed to join the military.
I even created a prestige class called the Arcane Hound to help root out spell casters.
A former member
Post #: 64
The idea of mage hunters sounds very similar to what I came up for my Amastasia game for 3.5. The Amastasian empire is ruled by a single emperor that was raised to distrust wizards and spell casters so the military booted out or killed most within the empire unless they agreed to join the military.
I even created a prestige class called the Arcane Hound to help root out spell casters.
Very cool, I loved 3.5 and creating classes, I started a book of classes years ago and filled 80 pages with around 40 classes, most un-tested, for fun. Though I have not created a class for the Mage Hunters yet, I probably will for this campaign. There is a great deal more to them besides perhaps being magic users themselves, which by all witness accounts, they are not. Without spoiling anything more regarding their actual origins they are feared by the local populace primarily for their obvious ability to root out children between the ages of 6 and 8 with magic potential. As a caveat, they are fully capable of discovering those with magical potential who are older, but their creed requires they take that age bracket first.

I really like your Mage Hounds, what a great class to work with. I agree, very similar the two.
Paul C P.
user 51076172
Flint, MI
Post #: 38
I was thinking a mage, but I forgot you said they would be hunted, what all classes are tolerated? Maybe I will go priest or something... heheheheheh Altho playing a mage might be interesting....
A former member
Post #: 65
I was thinking a mage, but I forgot you said they would be hunted, what all classes are tolerated? Maybe I will go priest or something... heheheheheh Altho playing a mage might be interesting....
Yes it is just another dynamic to playing a mage, please feel free to play one if you want. :) 'Unregistered' Mages are not tolerated.. There may be ways around that *wink* *wink* *nudge*
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 373
I am looking for some feedback on my witch supplement (hopefully gets submitted this weekend on DriveThru). If the DM permits and someone is interested I will happily send out complimentary copies to the DM and players wishing to give it a try. The written draft is located under More -> Files
Witch Options
A former member
Post #: 66
I am looking for some feedback on my witch supplement (hopefully gets submitted this weekend on DriveThru). If the DM permits and someone is interested I will happily send out complimentary copies to the DM and players wishing to give it a try. The written draft is located under More -> Files
Witch Options
I will delve into it, at work at the moment, but at soon as I get a chance I will look it over. :)
Paul C P.
user 51076172
Flint, MI
Post #: 42
Witch huh? I assume they would be hunted also? Sounds interesting!
John B
knotty_prof
Group Organizer
Goodrich, MI
Post #: 376
My favorite archetype that I created is the Madness Matriarch, requires the Insanity patron theme (Ultimate Magic) and you can inflict a type of insanity on someone with a successful touch attack. I made up a sample NPC for the product I am working on and her only purpose would be to sow chaos (either as an ally of the party or a foe).
A former member
Post #: 67
Folks, I think the commute for an hour is going to be too much. Does anyone have a suggestion for a location about 30 minutes from Royal Oak to host the game, and is this going to be too far for everyone?