addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Film and TV Connection Message Board › Seeking advice on my reality show idea

Seeking advice on my reality show idea

Portland, OR
Post #: 110
I would love to do shoot some scenes so that I have something more than just paperwork to submit for consideration. I would upload them to youtube to get some exposure. But I live in Portland, Oregon and there isn't the kind of interest in exciting stuff like this as there is in LA unfortunately. The few people who showed interest in acting, video recording, sound and lighting... ended up flaking :/

So now it's all about what I submit in written form so it must be really good. I have a great idea for a reality show, not a sleazy reality show where people fight and call each other names. But a really funny reality show that most people can relate to. I have a few Q's:

1. How do I find an agent?
2. How do I contact the right people to send my idea to, and maybe pitch to at some point?
3. How do I prevent idea theft?
4. Can emailing my work to myself be considered proof that it's my own?
5. Which of the following places is best to submit your work to protect it?
a. writers guild of america
b. copyright registration service
c. dept of commerce us patent & trademark office

Sorry for all the questions, here in Portland it's tricky; nowhere to get guidance, not as many working in the field, no one who takes you seriously, no camaraderie with other hopefuls who understand and also work hard at their dreams. I hope make it down to LA sooner rather than later.

I only spoke with the actors guild west and they told me that I have to pay each time I add to my work or edit existing work. Well I will always write more episodes & make changes, how can I possibly pay each time!?!? Very not practical. How do I get around this?

Any help appreciated, thank you!