addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Birds, Butterflies & Botany Message Board Butterflies › Butterfly Releases at Weddings - NO!!.. Butterfly farms are not glamorous

Butterfly Releases at Weddings - NO!!.. Butterfly farms are not glamorous

Terri
LillyduLac
Winter Springs, FL
Greetings Fellow Nature Lovers,

I recently started reading a book which has turned me against the mass raising and selling of butterflies. Its called "The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists". Here is the link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-World-Butterflies-Subculture-Conservationists/dp/1599219271/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295014890&sr=1-1­

I became disgusted right away by the attitude of the people who own the butterfly farm in Central America, written about in the beginning of the book. With a cigarette dangling out her mouth the woman instructs the author to grab an imprisoned butterfly and handle its body to see how strong it is. Furthermore she spats her disgust for the authorities of the North American Butterfly Association (NABA) [because of their disdain for butterfly farming.]

As the story unfolds you learn how they flash freeze live butterflies in cellophane envelops to be sold to collectors around the world for big money. I only got this far and decided to look up the NABA website and see what they had to say about butterfly farming.

Its seems that these large operations that I like to call butterfly "puppy mills" are contributing to many problems in the wild population and I quote:

http://www.naba.org/action.html­ 

"Large-scale commercial operations foster the spread of disease and the generation of new diseases that can devastate butterflies. It is well known that agriculture and animal husbandry, by increasing densities of an organism, create conditions that are extremely favorable for the spread of disease-causing agents of that organism. In addition, these condition encourage the creation of new disease-causing organisms.

Then there's this caveat about the fad of releasing butterflies at weddings:

http://www.naba.org/weddings.html­

"Imagine tens of thousands of mixed-up Monarchs unable to find the way to their overwintering grounds. This depressing image may become a reality if the rapidly-growing fad of releasing butterflies, including Monarch butterflies, at weddings, state fairs, and other public events continues to spread. Because the released Monarchs may have come from California, for instance, where they do not migrate to Mexico, their offspring may not be able to orient properly."

I strongly encourage you to go to the links I have supplied in this letter and read the whole articles. I also encourage you to stop thinking of butterfly farms as cute and glamorous and instead regard them as the mills they are, raising thousands of caterpillars in overcrowded conditions for their own monetary gain and in the process impacting the environment negatively.

Lilly
Pine Lily F.
Loret
Kissimmee, FL
Post #: 6
Great information Lilly! Comparing them to puppy mills is right on target. Thanks for getting the word out!

Loret