addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Birds, Butterflies & Botany Message Board BB&B General Topics › Total yellowing off of butterfly food plant after the big rain, please read

Total yellowing off of butterfly food plant after the big rain, please read

Terri
LillyduLac
Winter Springs, FL
Greetings Gentle Folk,

I hope to see more of you sign up to come visit me Saturday and see my butterflies. I want to tell you what happened to my big fennels right after the big rain the other night. My two outdoor fennels are 5' high~! They are a couple years old and have bolted, [that means they sent up flower tops], which is good because Black Swallowtail butterflies lay their eggs in the flower tops AND on the fronds.

The caterpillars [cats] eat flowers & leaves but not seeds. Well after the big rain I went outside and the fronds on the fennel were all yellowing~! Not good news since a female has just oviposited all over the fennels. The yellow leaves will be of no nutritional value to the cats but luckily the flowertops were not affected.

I keep potted fennel on my screened porch to raise cats on so I have plenty to see dozens of them through. If you want a cat or two I will give you one Sat but you must have fennel or be prepared to buy some [or dill, or parsely].

So when you come to my house this Sat just know that I am so disappointed that all the lush, lovely green fennel fronds are now yellow; so I will have to cut them off. I think that going from drought conditions to soaked might have been what done that to the fennel.

See you Saturday~!

Lilly