A former member
hi everybody!

I'm glad to see so many people interested in our upcoming discussion of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I put out a call a couple weeks ago for someone to facilitate the discussion and haven't gotten any responses. I will be at work and unable to attend. Conversation always flows organically and easily with so many folks present so I trust you will do great without an official facilitator and can all lead yourselves and each other.

I think it is usually nice to start with a round of introductions--the way we've done it in the past has allowed each person to say who they are and give a quick reaction to the book. Usually that offers enough provocative points from which to kick off conversation. This book has also been made into a movie so it could be interesting to hear folks' thoughts on how it translated to film.

If someone feels inspired to lead the group--which usually is minimal but would mean reigning the conversation in if it gets too off topic and bringing some biographical info about the author in and a few questions to keep the discussion going if it starts to wind down, I welcome anyone to do that!

I wish I could be there and trust it will be an engaging time. For anyone who is interested in facilitating in the future, you do get a free book from Flyleaf for that month's title.

I started this group 2 years ago because folks who had been meeting at the Cybrary wanted to keep it going after budget cuts. It has grown way beyond our original small group and I want to keep it going because of the consistent interest but am mostly not able to facilitate with my new work schedule.  It is ultimately your group and if it works well for you not having an assigned facilitator for the evening then that's great. I have remained behind the scenes for several months choosing books to vote on for discussions and finding facilitators but am happy to step back and pass on the group to the members to run in any way that works for you.  Please feel free to offer feedback!

And have fun!

Vanessa