addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Book Lovers Club @ Flyleaf Books Message Board Book Lovers Monthly Meetup @ Flyleaf Books Discussion Forum › Looking ahead -- Ideas for good books

Looking ahead -- Ideas for good books

Evelyn D.
EvelynDaniel
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 18
We have a little bank of possible titles for future discussion meetings. I believe Jorge is tracking many of these suggestions. Janna recently wrote the following:

"I've always wanted to read something by David Foster Wallace. After his death, Johnathan Frazen wrote movingly of their friendship. I have avoided seeing Cloud Atlas - by David Mitchell - because I wanted to read the book. ... How about reading something by Phillip Roth? How about Margaret Atwood or John Irving?"

She also suggested the new non-fiction book, Five Days at Memorial by Shari Fink, about the circumstances in a New Orleans hospital during and immediately after Hurricane Katrina. This one gets my vote as well.

So, how about it, new club members? Or old faithfuls? What are some other books to add to our list. We're booked through February but after that, we're open to suggestions. Other than trying to alternate fiction and non-fiction and to sample a variety of genres, we're open to your ideas.

Post your suggestions here.
Janna
user 48084752
Carrboro, NC
Post #: 5
Hi, group.

Just read about another compelling book - The Circle, by Johnaton Eggars. A novel about a young woman with a new job at a huge social media company. Think 1984 but not in the future - it's happening today. It's new so may want to delay until in paperback.

Janna
Jorge C.
user 57650562
Durham, NC
Post #: 4
Hi, group.

Just read about another compelling book - The Circle, by Johnaton Eggars. A novel about a young woman with a new job at a huge social media company. Think 1984 but not in the future - it's happening today. It's new so may want to delay until in paperback.

Janna
I've read the previous Eggars' book (A Hologram for the King) and it was quite interesting. The Circle is in my current list of 'To reads'.

Another recent book to consider for next year might be Bleeding Edge, by Thomas Pynchon (certainly an intriguing writer).
Jorge C.
user 57650562
Durham, NC
Post #: 5
We have a little bank of possible titles for future discussion meetings. I believe Jorge is tracking many of these suggestions. Janna recently wrote the following:

"I've always wanted to read something by David Foster Wallace. After his death, Johnathan Frazen wrote movingly of their friendship. I have avoided seeing Cloud Atlas - by David Mitchell - because I wanted to read the book. ... How about reading something by Phillip Roth? How about Margaret Atwood or John Irving?"

She also suggested the new non-fiction book, Five Days at Memorial by Shari Fink, about the circumstances in a New Orleans hospital during and immediately after Hurricane Katrina. This one gets my vote as well.

So, how about it, new club members? Or old faithfuls? What are some other books to add to our list. We're booked through February but after that, we're open to suggestions. Other than trying to alternate fiction and non-fiction and to sample a variety of genres, we're open to your ideas.

Post your suggestions here.
A comment or two about Janna's choices. I'm not such a great fan of Foster Wallace (it seems, I never get to finish his books.. but an awesome talent by all measures.)

Margaret Atwood has a good series of SF books, which starts with Onyx and Crane, a book that has gained some reputation over the years. The trilogy includes The Year of the Flood and the new one, whose name escapes me right now (MacAddam?)

Another possibility in the good and famous is to read a collection of stories by Alice Munro, who just won the Nobel Prize. They are all good, so it'll be a question of finding one available in paperback.

Roth could be tricky, but the early ones like The Human Stain and American Pastoral are classics now.

Just some thoughts, as we interact with the larger group online.

Regards to all, Jorge