Skeptics in the Pub (Fort Collins) Message Board › Blogging The Bible Project

Blogging The Bible Project

A former member
Post #: 18
Hello fellow skeptics, I'm just here to shamelessly plug my newest project, blogging the Bible. I'm trying to generate interest and encourage commenting, I think this will work best if it's somewhat interactive. For a description I'll bast the introductory post below. Thanks for reading this!

I have a new project I'm starting today. It has been a long time since I've read the Bible. Recent debates have made me decide that it's time to do so again, and I'm blogging it. I credit reading the Bible as being a primary motivation for my becoming an atheist. But many have moved closer to the creature* they call God after reading it. So what is it about this book that is so divisive? Let's find out.

The Bible I have chosen is the New King James version. It seems the most reasonable of the three most popular choices. I was raised Catholic, and read that version the first time. But the Catholic church hardly needs more scrutiny at this point. The other option would have been the New International Version, but that seems (according to the opinions I have read) to be the USA Today or New York Post of Bibles. I would think that when it comes to something as important as the immortal soul and what will happen to it, literacy would be important. I guess not.... So, New King James it is! I suppose for true accuracy I should learn to read the original languages in which the various books that make up the Bible are written, but if the Bible is the literal word of God as fundamentalists claim it is, and if they can't be bothered to look into translation errors, I guess I won't either. This is a point I intend to return to during this project.

I don't know exactly how this project will go. I intend only to read the Bible chapter by chapter and provide my thoughts. At this time I don't intend to use any external sources, but that will probably change. I am very open to comments and suggestions. I may edit posts at any time to insert new ideas I've had while sleeping or pooping (the times in which all real thinking is done) if so, I will add text alerting readers to the edits. I won’t bother alerting readers to all of the spelling and punctuation corrections I’m bound to need to make.

If I have enough and readers, I may expand on to the Book of Mormon, the Koran etc. I've never read any of those. Assuming this project doesn't utterly crush my spirit it may be fun to explore other books. Also, I will be spreading this through this blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. I rarely interact with social media though. I will try to read comments wherever they appear, but posting on this site will guarantee I see your comment.

* I refer to God as a creature, and will continue to do so, not to be overtly offensive. My logic is this: God or not, it** is not a human. Therefore it must be a separate species, an alien if you will, not in the little green men sense (though it does apparently live in the sky) but the foreign sense. Not a human, thus some other form of creature.
Linda R.
LindaRosaRN
Loveland, CO
Post #: 409
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the "Good Book." A few years ago I listened to a recorded course on the Old Testament and it was fascinating though it was mostly a description of the stories found therein and not a lot of scholarly background. The occasional Bible story may seem quaint, especially since we've been steeped in some since childhood, but not an account of many of them in a relatively short time, which made me feel like I had just witnessed the indisputable, fatal flaw in Christianity and Judaism of which their adherents could not possibly be aware. I agree with Richard Dawkins that more people should read the OT.

Not to get ahead to things, but the writings of Theosophy might be fun to explore.