Announcing a new Meetup for The DC Area Folk SOJO (Sing Out Jam Out)!
What: The time for celebrating's through. It's time to wallow in the mire.
When: December 6,[masked]:00 PM
Where: Click the link below to find out!
Meetup Description: (Whilst on his merry way to France, Sing-Out-Jam-Out?s Steamed Flounder and Ograniser RICK remembered to notify his minions:
"Could someone please remember to post the invite/announcement for the December 6 SOJO, and do so shortly before or after this Satdee's meet up? I'll have limited computer access for the next few weeks. Merci mille fois..."
Caryn, Elie, Margi, and Mark bumped fists. Freddy rubbed his hands together and began to type: )
I'm Freddy, played by Lionel Barrymore. I'm in charge. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
What's all this, this, this prattle about a "SOJO"? A "Victory Celebration"? Who is this "Rick"? Some starry-eyed dreamer stirring people up and filling their heads with a lot of impossible ideas? There is no "Rick." Such a person has NEVER BEEN BORN.
Anyway, on the first Saturday in December (the 6th), from 2 to 5 PM, a Fredfest will take place at our usual location in Fredstal City, Freddysville. You will need to bring the songbook Wake Up Screaming (of which you may buy a used copy, held together by an elastic, from me directly or from fredazon.com for $257.95, cash or gold bullion only). You will sing and play such beloved folk songs from that book, and only from that book, as "Let Us Struggle Indignantly to Condemn the Lickspittle Jackals of Bourgeois Counterrevolutionary Revanchism," "(I Know My Cadre Loves Me, Because) He Lets Me Use Manure from His Pile," "How Sunny Are the Dispositions of the Children in Our Dear Premier Freddy's New-Age Schools, in Which Pencils Abound!" and "Dear Premier, You Are Lighting Up My Life." A meal of gruel, dirt, and lawnmower-clipping salad may be provided, at my pleasure; bring your own turnip juice or Clamato?. Our fearsome Folk Police, with her fascist-destroying banjo and syncopation-defeating antimetronome, will keep strict order. Wanton sweater-girls will be trolling for frappes. Misery and squalour will pervade the air. There will be NO "celebrating." You will NOT have fun ? unless? unless?
"?See you all December 6. ? Rick"
Oh. Never mind.
Come join us Saturday, December 6, 2008:
* At our usual Crystal City venue (wheelchair accessible), 1.5 blocks from the Crystal City Blue & Yellow Line Metrorail station, with free parking available on weekends at nearby garages, the closest being on 23rd St. between Crystal Drive and US 1. For detailed directions from the Metrorail station, make sure you're signed into SOJO's website, click on "Files" in the menu at upper left, and choose "Crystal City Metro to SOJO directions" posted by Freddy on Sept. 7, 2008.
* From 2 to 5 p.m. with a break around 3:30. Please arrive a little early if you can, to help set up and so we have a musical quorum to start.
* Please bring your Rise Up Singing book or purchase one at the gathering. We sell them at our cost, usually around $18. Alternatively, you may borrow a copy (there is a "borrow one time only" honor system policy). Remember, you can also bring lyrics, preferably with chords, for songs not in the book. [If neither Rick, Caryn, Elie, nor Margi is there on this particular day, there may not be any Rise Up Singings for sale. But anyone who dares can always borrow Freddy's first edition, along with the elastic that's more or less holding it together. You can also buy the book yourself at someplace like amazon.com or overstock.com.]
* If you're able and inclined to do so, you might want to bring $4 or so to contribute toward the rent for our meeting place. If you're not so able or inclined, don't sweat it... please come anyway!
* You might want to bring some water to drink as singing tends to parch.
Learn more here:http://folk.meetup.com/45/calendar/9172104/