addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The DC Area Folk SOJO (Sing Out Jam Out) Message Board › Finding the songs I sing

Finding the songs I sing

Nick
user 13160982
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
I thought it might be fun to share where I get some of the songs I bring to SOJO and where you can buy recordings of them if you ever desire. This occurs to me because of an article in Slate (which you can read by clicking here) that explores what it's like to be in a traveling indie folk-rock band. It's a fascinating read that I highly recommend, but the most important take-home point is that bands like these are--for lack of a better word--poor. In order to encourage bands I like to keep making music and not get day jobs, I figure I'll publicize them from now on when I sing their songs.

So this week I sung "Northwest Passage" by Stan Rogers, which can be found on his album "Northwest Passage." I'll continue this next time on the review page, and anyone else who wants to can feel free to join!
Johanna
user 3868651
College Park, MD
Post #: 20
(Is Stan Rogers in danger of having to get a day job? I had no idea...)

Bellowhead, an eleven-piece band that makes a whole lot more noise than I can make on my guitar, recorded "New York Girls" on their latest album, "Hedonism." "London Town," which is almost the same song but with almost the opposite ending, is on their first album, "Burlesque." Youtube videos of both songs abound, in the event that you'd like to try before you buy.
Nick
user 13160982
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Well, Stan Rogers doesn't need a day job; he's unfortunately been dead for 25 years. But living folk singers will gladly accept the extra attention and money! smile
Carl
CarlGold
Arlington, VA
Post #: 19
I just happened to see that Garnet Rogers, Stan's brother, is performing at Artisphere in Rosslyn, next Tuesday, the 20th. Don't know much about the
details but this is the link. http://www.artisphere...­
A former member
Post #: 39
Stan Rogers died at age 33 1/2 on June 2, 1983 in an electrical fire aboard an Air Canada aircraft at Cincinnati/Covington airport.

I want to bring in his song "Pharisee," but I have to learn it a little better. Nick, do you know it? Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.co...­
Johanna
user 3868651
College Park, MD
Post #: 21
33 1/2 plus 4 days. Perhaps I am too subtle in my smartassery. tongue
Pauline L.
paulinefiddle
Rockville, MD
Post #: 17
Stan Rogers died at age 33 1/2 on June 2, 1983 in an electrical fire aboard an Air Canada aircraft at Cincinnati/Covington airport.

I want to bring in his song "Pharisee," but I have to learn it a little better. Nick, do you know it? Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.co...­

Fred & Co., how about one of my favorite Stan Rogers songs, Field behind the Plow (Another Season's Promise)? It's very good for April. Other possibilities are Mary Ellen Carter (we should be able to get this one up to a roar), 45 Years from Now, Northwest Passage, etc.
A former member
Post #: 40
Fields, Mary, and Northwest are all in Wake Up Screaming. We did Fields once; I was the only one who knew it. Not such a good group-singing song, but I like it a lot. We've done Northwest several times, I gather most recently April 2 when I wasn't there. That's best a cappella, with harmony. And we've performed Mary Ellen more than that. It is a rouser. I also like "Flowers of Bermuda," "Tiny Fish from Japan," "Witch of the Westmoreland," and "Harris and the Mare." I used to like "Barrett's Privateers," but now I could stand to go without hearing it for a few years. Don't know "45 Years"; will have to check the U-Tubes machine.
Johanna
user 3868651
College Park, MD
Post #: 22
45 Years is also in the book. It's not bad, if you happen to like sappy love songs.

ETA: Would love to do Flowers of Bermuda.
Nick
user 13160982
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Wow, this thread has multiplied! I'm happy to sing any of the million great Stan Rogers songs. Some are hard to sing in a SOJO setting, though. "Lies," for instance, is in the book and is one of my favorites but is definitely not a singalong.

It looks like Garnet Rogers and Archie Fisher are performing together next week. Garnet's music is quite different from Stan's, not in a bad way, though I prefer Stan hands-down. Archie Fisher has written some very good songs, including "Witch of the Westmoreland."