addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Formula 1 NYC Meetup Message Board › 2012 cars

2012 cars

Simon H.
SimonH
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Is it just me or are the stepped noses this year unbelievably ugly (the RBR is slightly different and not too too bad).

McLaren have had a lower chassis design for the last few iterations so were already below the reg requirement and haven't needed the stepped nose.

Will add the new cars as they're unveiled.

So far:

Red Bull:

Sauber:

Lotus:

McLaren:

Ferrari:

Force India:

Torro Rosso:

Williams:

Caterham:

Mercedes:

Myron L
user 7633302
New York, NY
Post #: 5
McLaren's car looks the best with the least noticeable nose step decline
Seshu
user 6488110
New York, NY
I agree about the looks... but we've wait and see if McLaren missed a trick with nose design.
Anthony
Slipangle
Belmont, MA
Post #: 45
They'll just take some getting used to, as with a few years back when the big front and smaller-taller rear wings were introduced. And given time, they've solved just about every problem, including "ugliness." Appreciate that we can still see innovation, which has vanished in other top racing forms.
Simon H.
SimonH
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Added a photo of the Caterham. Not a very good one but the best I could find.

You get used to something but I still thing the rear wings are ugly and I'm not sure I can get use to the hatchet job to make these work for the regs.
Mike L.
user 12560240
New York, NY
Post #: 1
What's the purpose of the nose step?
Jae C.
racerjae
Group Organizer
West New York, NJ
Post #: 9
the purpose is always more grip. i guess it's supposed to bring more front downforce.
i just hope that the good looks of the mclaren means good results.
Bradley B
user 9225803
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
You can make it with Lego, and perhaps pick up some aero benefit, but what an aesthetic price to pay.

Caterham's unapologetic boldness in running their stripe straight over it simply underscores the tragedy. Karma must have given McLaren a reprieve after their soldiering through last season with those wacky radiator ducts.

The bright side? Down the road, this will make the 2012 season easy to spot, for what that's worth.
Anthony
Slipangle
Belmont, MA
Post #: 46
What's the purpose of the nose step?
The noses cones have been getting ever higher in order to make the front wing work better, ergo more downforce. The sudden rule change mandates a maximum height for the tip of the nose for safety, to prevent a T-boned driver from being rammed in the head or neck by another car. I don't know why they kept the fuselages high and then stepped down the nose, except for McLaren which seem to have lowered the whole fuselage top line.
Bradley B
user 9225803
Brooklyn, NY
The step's base seems just forward of the upper suspension mount, so they expediently throw a new nose in the oven rather than rework the front suspension and shave two inches off the deck - work better left for another day/month/season. Of course, if they do all lower overall deck height as McLaren already had, you're back to the "your neck or mine" conundrum.

Anyhow, while it's there, might it not be a better place for a driver's view camera, what say?