addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York City Freemasons & Eastern Star Meetup Group Message Board › why did you seek the light

why did you seek the light

A former member
Post #: 4
What was the force behind you wanting to become a Mason or OES? Did you research your organization before joining or did you join simply because family members or friends were in it?

Harmon
A former member
Post #: 2
Growing up All I can remember is my Great grandmother talking about the OES and Masons. I am from a family of OES and Masons. After my grandmother passed no one continued on with tradition as she would have wanted. As I got older, I took in upon myself to do the research and see if this is what I wanted. I tell you it was hard to find someone in my neighborhood it took me 3 years. I believe that it was the path that I needed to follow and I did. I feel like out of all my choices throughout life this is a big positive. My fellow sisters and brothers are always there. That is why I sort out for the light.
A former member
Post #: 5
I am curious, can you tell me what lineage of Masons and OES your family came from?

Harmon

Growing up All I can remember is my Great grandmother talking about the OES and Masons. I am from a family of OES and Masons. After my grandmother passed no one continued on with tradition as she would have wanted. As I got older, I took in upon myself to do the research and see if this is what I wanted. I tell you it was hard to find someone in my neighborhood it took me 3 years. I believe that it was the path that I needed to follow and I did. I feel like out of all my choices throughout life this is a big positive. My fellow sisters and brothers are always there. That is why I sort out for the light.

Michelle M.
MsMitchell357
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 70
This is a very good question brother Harmon. Because the LIGHT called to me and I could not refuse it and I began to seek it out.

What was the force behind you wanting to become a Mason or OES? Did you research your organization before joining or did you join simply because family members or friends were in it?

Harmon

A former member
Post #: 2
My best friend and I are separated by several hundred miles. On a visit one weekend, he told me he had become a Mason, and asked if I knew what that was. I confessed that I had very little knowledge, except that it was a fraternity of good men. He told me that was correct, and that I should join him. Well, if it was something that was good for my best friend, then it was a good thing for me as well. I decided right then and there - after a ten minute discussion - that I should become a Mason. My true enlightenment came later, of course. ... So, I did no research, but relied upon the recommendation of someone in whom I put my complete trust as a man.
Ron "Free" F.
Bro.Freeman
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 12
My driving force was he fact that my Grandfather and Grandmother were affiliated with another Order. My Granfather was a Mechanic and my Grandmother was a member of the Household of Ruth. A similar order and structure but grounded in the Carribean and West Indies. As a youth I remember attending lodge dances and functions and I was in awe when the members "walked" during the afair.

Always aware of the craft I decided to seek it out to continue a tradition and begin a new one for my Daughter and Son. I want them to know that there will ALWAYS be people who will care for them as I would where ever they are in the world. I also want them to know that my example is just a roadmap for them to follow and surpass in their lietime.

I did a bit of research and found that I'ts more than what the craft will do for you but what you will do for the craft. My lodge is growing but it is a working lodge that I am happy to have joined.

Fraternally yours,

Bro. Freeman
King Darius Lodge #1
Brooklyn, NY
A former member
Post #: 3
I am on a life long search for knowledge. I want to know as much about everything, all that I can take. I'm also big a government policies, and their power, and who the effect and who effects them. There is no question that OES and Masons, have a lot of untapped knowledge, that I want to tap into. Stuff that most people don't seek, until they seek the Light. So I wanted to know and learn, and also become a better woman with increased spirituality. I doing all that now. So I seeked the Light to learn, and I'm learning. It was one of the best choices I've made.
Rashied
Brother_Minister
New York, NY
Post #: 9

Harmon

Bro. Harmon,

I remember exactly how I came into Masonry, 18 years ago this month. I was conversing with a friend and brother in faith, and the subject came up. I was against Masons then, because as everyone knows, Masons run everything, control all, can get anything done with the networking and collusion, and all are after something though I was hardpressed to tell you exactly what. LOL!

My friend didn't argue. He just said, "If you ever change your mind, I know some of them, and I could probably get you some paperwork to get in". I said, "Right; sure... like that's ever going to happen!" Well, for two weeks, all I thought about was Masonry; I recalled how many times it had subtly crossed my path, from the time I was 8 years old and used to pass M & J Fraternal Supply on the way to the post office, and regularly lost 15 minutes each way for looking in the window at the regalia, books, and degree charts; and how there did seem to be some interest in learning the symbolism and what it all really means, after all. I couldn't sleep. The next time I saw my friend, I couldn't wait to ask for that Petition. That was in May, 1988.

Well, he said it would be a month before they even saw it. After a month, you can bet that I was on his doorstep. "What happened? What did they say?" "Well, they've gone off on their summer vacation. Won't be back until September". Oh, man! It was November before I finally did get in. It has been non-stop growth for me ever since. Though I entered the Craft through what I later learned was an irregular jurisdiction, it was not research but the impeccable character of my friend that persuaded me. I knew that he would not be in anything harmful or negative, and except for the irregularity of their origin, I had no complaints. I rose through the ranks, served the Lodge and Grand Lodge in a variety of capacities, and eventually founded a Lodge myself.

I have since reaffiliated with the Prince Hall organization, and cannot imagine my life without Masonry in it. It has increased and strengthened my faith and religious practice, and has broadened the perspective and deepened the perception that my faith brings me. I came to Masonry a minister of 12 years practice, so I didn't come playing games. But I have gained much more than I could ever hope to return in two lifetimes.

Great Question; thanks for the memories. <s>

Your Brother,

.·. Rashied ~
--

Rashied K. Sharrieff-Al-Bey
Past Master
Cornerstone Lodge #37
MWPHGL-NY

A former member
Post #: 3
I am from a lineage of Masons and Eastern Stars on both my mother's side of the family and my father's. I always knew that I wanted to belong to an organization I just never knew which one. When I found the OES and joined, my mother then told me that is where I belonged b/c of my grandmother and great-grandmother. I then found out from my father that my some of my uncles and cousins are Masons in the Carribean
Kemi
user 2874751
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Greetings All,

I joined OES after being in the youth division for 10 years, including becoming a Grand Companion. At 18 my mother asked if I was ready to join and I told her no. I wanted to wait until the time was right for me . Just a day before my 21st birthday, I was initiated into this wonderful organization. I did not research prior to joining because my family members did not make a big deal of affiliations, they embrace the organization as a whole (meaning the ideals of it). Two of my uncles are PHA masons, one of my aunts is an International F &AM OES and my mother, another aunt and I are AF & AM. I've done a lot of studying after I joined, which included going to the Masonic library for several hours on weekends. My family feels finding a chapter/ lodge is like looking for a second home, you know where you fit in. If at anytime I did not feel like I was at home, I would have packed up and moved on.