addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Freethought Arizona Message Board › Humanist Social

Humanist Social

trink71
trink71
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
Hello all!

In the interest of my new passion, a belief in the importance of building Humanist community, I would like to create ongoing social events that aren't centered on any particular topic or lecture or what have you. I envision regular "hang outs" of some kind in which humanists come together to build a sense of connection socially without necessarily having to talk about Humanism. Don't get me wrong, I feel passionate about Humanist topics, but I would also like to enjoy meeting other Humanists just to be social with people I know I will find interesting, intelligent and thoughtful. I am thinking of things like a weekend morning at the park with a game of pickup basketball and snacks and cokes under a ramada. I just want to meet like-minded people socially, without the mild dread that a new potential friend is going to suddenly blurt out something ridiculous about how they don't see the problem with "teaching the controversy" in schools (haha). Should I start my own meetup, a Humanist social club, or would anyone here be interested in starting such a thing with me under the auspices of Free Thought Arizona? I don't want to step on toes or reinvent the wheel, but I haven't found a meetup group that seems to be oriented toward simple socializing in the interest of community building. Thoughts?

Jen
A former member
Post #: 261
trink71,

You may be interested in the freethinking community that has already been established in the Tucson area. Our community is composed of 3 strong groups. Each of the groups have their niche. I run two of the groups and am a board member of the third. About 3 years ago, the Tucson Atheists decided to do more social gatherings. We ran the experiment for about a year and the attendance was not good. About two years ago we decided to try another experiment. Now we recognize that each of the separate groups have their own missions and ways about them but there is nothing wrong with socializing together. Therefore, every person in the community is invited to the social gatherings of each of the groups. For example, the Tucson Atheists have an event at a local bar every other Thursday. The Tucson Atheists welcome participation from the Skeptics of Tucson and the FreeThought Arizona groups. During the last winter solstice, I had a party at my house. There were over 70 people at the house and the Skeptics, Atheists, and FreeThought members were all well represented. We had a great time.

The more we build the community, the better we'll do. So please join us at one of the social events already on the calendar. Now there are only Drinking Godlessly and Caffeinated Godlessnes. We also hike together on Friday night at Sabino Canyon. In the future, we'll have picnics on Mt Lemon and house parties like the Solstice party.