London French Meetup Message Board › Evening Schools to learn French?

Evening Schools to learn French?

Kelly
user 11245842
London, GB
Post #: 18
Boujour,Je'suis Kelly

I joined this group over 1 year ago as I was serious about learning French, it's been a busy year and I am no further down the line! I only have my CDs and books which I practice but now as of January 2013 I have a lot more spear time on my hands and which to go to school to learn French and meet new people. My New Years resolution for 2013 is to better my French and make a commitment to doing so via going to school and attending London French Group Meet ups.

Does anyone have any recommendations for colleges, schools that are reasonably priced? So far I have managed to find Morley College in Elephant and Castle area which charges around £100 per 10 week course but I wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions!
Help!
Pascale
user 49317142
London, GB
Post #: 1
Bonjour Kelly,

I am part a of Franchise of teachers who organize little classes (£100 per 10 week course + £5 material) and tutor near where they live. I teach at Ladbroke Grove during the day. French for Fun classes are designed to be relaxed, informal and enjoyable conversation classes. This is why they are limited to a very maximum of 10 people. They follow a unique carefully structured programme which can take you all the way from a complete Beginner to Advanced level. Each lesson, we cover 10 new words or phrases, a grammar, culture and pronunciation point – and then put them all to work in a carefully constructed conversation. All homework is optional and there are no exams but you learn a lot. See if it suits you (time and place : http://www.frenchforf...­) and good luck with your French!

Pascale
user 49317142
London, GB
Post #: 2
Oh sorry, I just saw that you were asking for EVENING classes! I do sometimes some socializing around French in the evenings but no teaching, sorry! Pascale
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi There! I know how you feel. :)
I have done classes at the Alliance Francaise a Londres at Dorset Square. It is okay but the issue for me is that if you miss a class or get behind; they just keep going. Although they say your teacher will do a tutor session for which you pay, and that is fine - he never did one even though I asked. And I had some serious verb issues (that I still have). I went this weekend into Westminster College and they do part time French n the evening and I am now going to look into that for January.

Good Luck and maybe I shall meet you in class!
Derek
user 7895826
London, GB
Post #: 2
I have done classes with Institute Francais - very good, but not the cheapest, the OU - good for grammar etc, less good for face to face conversation and not the cheapest, Cactus training (used this for Italian) - not bad, not too expensive and plenty of centres. One of the cheapest options and I found it quite good is City Lit.

Some of the cheapest alternatives are various Meetups - private tutors seem to be catching onto meetup as a way of giving paid lessons. They are often cheaper and informal, which may be an advantage - on the other hand they may not be held in the most ideal learning facilities e.g. noisy cafes !!

The other thing to consider is an intensive in France if circumstances permit
Kelly
user 11245842
London, GB
Post #: 21
Thanks for your reply try Morley College google them. They also are a bit cheaper than Westminster College when I compared to two when I first started looking around. I have been to Morley College before and had a positive experience hence why I'm prepared to go back if I can't find an alternative. May be we will be in the same class!

Hi There! I know how you feel. :)
I have done classes at the Alliance Francaise a Londres at Dorset Square. It is okay but the issue for me is that if you miss a class or get behind; they just keep going. Although they say your teacher will do a tutor session for which you pay, and that is fine - he never did one even though I asked. And I had some serious verb issues (that I still have). I went this weekend into Westminster College and they do part time French n the evening and I am now going to look into that for January.

Good Luck and maybe I shall meet you in class!

Kelly
user 11245842
London, GB
Post #: 22
Thank you for your reply this seems in my price range I will look at the website thank you!

Bonjour Kelly,

I am part a of Franchise of teachers who organize little classes (£100 per 10 week course + £5 material) and tutor near where they live. I teach at Ladbroke Grove during the day. French for Fun classes are designed to be relaxed, informal and enjoyable conversation classes. This is why they are limited to a very maximum of 10 people. They follow a unique carefully structured programme which can take you all the way from a complete Beginner to Advanced level. Each lesson, we cover 10 new words or phrases, a grammar, culture and pronunciation point – and then put them all to work in a carefully constructed conversation. All homework is optional and there are no exams but you learn a lot. See if it suits you (time and place : http://www.frenchforf...­) and good luck with your French!