align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › What to do about a howling Frenchie

What to do about a howling Frenchie

Imelda
user 13690456
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
I have an 11 week old Frenchie. I've had him for 4 days now and every night he howls (deafeningly loud) and gets very distressed when he is in his crate. If he is in his crate during the day he is mostly fine, so I don't think it is the crate.

I've tried a number of things to try and help him calm him down (putting treats in, favorite toys, playing with him extensively before he goes to bed, putting him in my room, putting a towel over the crate, leaving the TV on, putting music on, leaving the lights on, trying to make positive associations...), but to no avail. I can't just leave him to howl all night (I live in an apartment and am surprised I haven't been evicted yet because of it!).

To stop him howling, I've had to put him on a bed in the kitchen and sleep on the sofa in view of him for the past 3 nights. But even then he doesn't settle. Every 5-40 minutes he will get up and run over to me... all night.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
A former member
Post #: 7
Here is my experience. Beauregard used to have a crate, for a solid year there was no problem. Then one night for whatever reason he just would cry when he had to go in it. He was terrified. He would howl and shake and for the life of me, to this day I do not know the reason behind it. The solution was to completely remove the crate from the house. We purchased an x-pen ($40-$50) and set it up in the corner. He has never been happier. He has his Beau-Bed in the back and there is even room for a small water bowl which he drinks throughout the night. He can see us now and there is no roof I believe this makes him feel more secure. I have made it a point to let this be "his space". I only go in there to clean and vacuum when he is out of the room. Now every night at 10PM he and our Boxer go potty then I tap on the pen door and he trots right in. All is well again.

Imelda
user 13690456
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Beauregard is lovely!

We had a breakthrough with the crate the other night and he has managed to sleep through 2 nights now, with one potty break in between. He only gives a slight wimper at the start - a big improvement on before. However, I will definitely look into the x-pen.

Thanks again.
A former member
Post #: 8
I am happy to hear that you are having success. Beauregard thanks you for the compliment.

Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1
Do you mind telling me if you did anything special to get him to stop howling? We just got our little guy five days ago - he is 8 1/2 weeks old. He is fine in the crate until around 3:00ish then after he goes potty and we put him back in his crate he wont stop howling!! I don't know what to do, he's not potty trained so he can't be out of the crate at night but we need some sleep!!

Thanks for your help!!

Beauregard is lovely!

We had a breakthrough with the crate the other night and he has managed to sleep through 2 nights now, with one potty break in between. He only gives a slight wimper at the start - a big improvement on before. However, I will definitely look into the x-pen.

Thanks again.

Carly
user 12663935
Portland, OR
Post #: 19
I've successfully crate trained two French bulldog pups and a litter my female had. My suggestion is to put them in it for small periods aside from bedtime, like to run a quick errand or while you are cleaning...etc. It will get them used to the idea and won't be so "traumatic" when they go to bed. Later they will love their crate and see it as a positive place, their refuge. I also used commands like "get in your bed," something like that so it gets them into a routine. Also, I've found that wire crates work the best opposed to the enclosed crates. Dogs like to see out. You can put a blanket over it at night but make sure your little one can see you and is by your bed (Ebay has awesome deals on wire crates for super cheap and free shipping). The first week or so is always the biggest trial for them. They are testing their boundaries and are also anxious from leaving their litter mates and mother. Something else that helps is putting a t-shirt or towel with your scent on it in there with them. Another thing that has helped is a ticking alarm clock under a pillow, it is a consistent white noise that reminds them of their mother's heartbeat and siblings as well. Raising a puppy with no other puppies or dogs is harder to me than raising two at the same time. Once they've grown big enough to hold their bladder through the night, I usually start letting them sleep with me. Not all people are a fan of that but it's hard to resist and it's less time in the crate for them. Hang in there, this is only temporary. (ps- a puppy KONG with PB would help too) biggrin
Brena A.
user 14714731
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 9
I will admit, when Bevo was a baby and we were crate training him he would death yodel. These dogs are know for their cry.
My Bevo must sleep with me every night, and I have a queen size bed and he still hogs the whole bed! His snoring is relaxing to me also, and now I've been woken up when I don't hear his snoring.
Frenchie's are far more a person than a dog, maybe he just wants to sleep in the bed with you.
Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2
Thank you so much for your replies! The last two nights have been better.... Now we need to work on day and car crate time. He doesn't like either!