addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Frenchie Perfume

Frenchie Perfume

Kelly S.
user 13729941
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
How do I put this delicately......? Little Jimmy can get really really gaseous sometimes. He is almost 6 months old and we have just been trying to find out what things make him stinky and what things are safe. He's sort of going through a bad patch and it's too cold outside to leave the windows open.

Have any of you found food that seems to keep the gas at bay? Treats? What do some of you long time Frenchie owners avoid?

Thanks, Kelly
Rory-Lee
RoryLeeMoonshine
Portland, OR
Post #: 15
I use to have bad gas. Now my people give me enzymes and probiotics with every meal. I may still have one or two farts, but they are much less intrusive than they use to be.
Carly
user 12663935
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
Isn't this breed kind of...notorious for having bad gas? Trixie usually passes it the most when she is excited and while she is sleeping at night. I'm a deep sleeper and I've been awoken by that Frenchie gas more than once that is neither ladylike nor charming, gasping for fresh air. There is a reason why they make decals on this very subject:

http://cgi.ebay.com/F...­

I've tried various premium foods to curb the gas with no luck. I've just decided to chalk it up to the fact that it's possibly because she swallows so much air with her dramatic sighing...
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 145
Try to feed foods that have limited ingredients such as Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient. Frenchies often react to the GRAINS in most commercial foods. The Limited Ingredient foods use either sweet potatoes or regular potatoes as the main source of carbohydrates and are easier to digest.

Adding plain yogurt or pro-biotics to each meal is a great idea too. A tablespoon of canned pumpkin can also be your friend if his stools are either loose or too firm. I think pumpkin also helps a bit with gas.

Also get the food bowl stands to raise his dish up a bit higher so he will not swallow as much air while eating. Yes, they are notorious for GAS! My husband says a Frenchie can peel the pain off of walls :-) We have 4 right now and a foster Frenchie. If we feed them too many treats then we all get gassed! They love to try to eat the Cat's food too and again, watch out! Here comes the gas!!! Many people like to feed RAW and that helps with gas also, but it is more time consuming.
Good Luck!!!!!
Gracian
Molly B.
user 13134467
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
Bogart has done well both on Evanger's brand food and 1st mate. Grain-free treats well tolerated are Real Meat, Stams, and Zukes. He does NOT do well on the Natural Balance mini rolls we tried this week, ugh.

good luck!
Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 13
I know this thread is a bit old but ... What kind of probiotic does everyone recommend? We have had a problem with soft stool and gas the whole time we have had Zeus. He's now 7 months old and on prescription food but it has never fixed the problem 100%. Other foods have been too rich and he's ended up with very bad runs and a trip to the vet for fluids.
Kelly S.
user 13729941
Portland, OR
Post #: 14
We had originally bought some acidophilus powder at Furever Pets on Broadway by the Lloyd Center but the guy at the store said a spoonful of plain yogurt would be the same thing. It did help with gas but didn't take it away completely. Lately Jimmy has been showing some signs of allergy so we have been messing with his diet a bit which has been increasing the amount of gas. Through lots of trial and error and reading I have found the gas is tied to a carb heavy diet and the type of carbohydrate that is in their food. Anyway this is all a work in progress but so far we have learned, duck as his protein = diarrhea and oats as carb source = gas. Right now he is eating a chicken/rice based diet and is doing really really well.
Kelsey B.
user 53493182
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
So something to consider also with the yogurt is allergens I found this out the hard way when I ran out ifprobiotic and just tried plain greek yogurt, my brindle was fine but my cream boy broke out in pimples and hives as soon as I stopped the yogurt he was better.... I add a packet of purina Florta flora to their food in the am, you can buy it from your vet but is much cheaper through Amazon! Pumpkin has also helped amazingly with my girls horrible gas room clearers, Libby's 100% pumpkin from the grocery store, just a tablespoon at each meal will add fiber to the diet, b/c of they are on a rich quality grain free diet the protein can be hard to digest! Unfortunalty diets, gas and allergys is such a hard balence and finding the what is perfect for your individual Frenchie isn't going to happen overnight..... And everyone has their own opinion which can make it very difficult sometimes less is more and don't add to many things at once b/c you might have snigger problem then just the gas!