The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Frenchie Vomiting

Frenchie Vomiting

A former member
Post #: 5
We have a 6 month old frenchie, Gunner. We've been having trouble with frequent vomiting. It is not associated with eating, and otherwise his health and energy levels seem great. He just will be walking along and suddenly vomit up clear liquid and possibly a little food that may be left in his stomach.

Does anyone have any ideas about the cause. We will be taking him to the vet, but I want to hear if anyone else has dealt with this problem.

Thank you.
Chelsea
Mary
user 2984188
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I also have a 6 month old male french bulldog who does the same thing. He has no other health issues but vomits frequently foam and sometimes a small amout of food. It increases when he is very excited (like at puppy class) but does not have any pattern and is not associated with when he has or has not eaten. I have had him at our vet for this a couple of times and he is currently on a medication for reflux but that does not seem to be helping much, initially we tried prescription food to see if that helped but it did not make a difference.
I am currently trying to decide if I should take him back to my vet or try seeing Dr. Ferro at Barclay Hills in Oregon City (who supposedly sees lots of frenchies) to see if we can come up with other ideas about this issue. He is growing well and not losing weight because of the vomiting but it is concerning. I would love to hear from anyone else with this problem.
Thanks,
Mary
Tegan
WhitneysMom
Marysville, WA
Post #: 78
I replied privatly to Chelsea when she posted this that Zeke by Boston was doing the same thing and after $400 at the vet we still do not have an answer. All blood work & stool samples came back with nothing. I CAN control it with a regular strength Antacid. Not the extra strength just the regular, one tablet before breakfast, one before dinner, and one before bed when it is bad. Oh and buy the generic, you will save a bundle!

Tegan, Whitney & Zeke
A former member
Post #: 11
Right after I got my Frenchie (she is 3 years old), she was vomiting frequently with no obvious cause and in a variety of places. When I went to my first meetup, I was discussing it with Chico and Hazel's dad and I said "Antionette has thrown up like 5 times since I got her" and he responded with "Yeah, well Hazel has thrown up like 5 times today." I did take her to the vet but I stopped worrying. They also had me giving her pepcid AC, which I purchased over the counter (check with your vet on dosing for a puppy that young). There is nothing wrong with her, she just vomits every now and then for a variety of reasons. I did discover she was sensitive to one of the snacks I was feeding her and I stopped but when she gets excited or nervous she sometimes vomits up a clear, foamy liquid and the vet said nothing is wrong with her. I am not an expert by any means but that's my experience. I hear it's a bulldog thing.
Mary
user 2984188
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 2
Thanks for all the responses !!!!!!!!!! I am taking Oswald to the vet tomorrow to reassess but sounds like maybe it is just a Frenchie issue. I am concerned about a long palate as the vomiting can be a symptom of that but that won't be able to be looked at until he is sedated for his neuter (in the next month or so). I will ask my vet about the antacid route. I already have some as my english bulldog has to take it sometimes. I am just an overly anxious mommy.
Thanks,
Mary
A former member
Post #: 1
All these symptoms sound associated with an elongated soft palate. I understand this condition can be fixed with surgery. Here's a link about the whole subject: The brachycephalic syndrome