The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Frenchie aggression and spaying

Frenchie aggression and spaying

Carly
user 12663935
Portland, OR
Post #: 16
My female Frenchie is coming up on her 4th birthday. She is still intact and had 1 litter of pups about a year and a half ago. Recently, my bf adopted two dogs that used to belong to him, a male and a female. I had more reservations about the female coming in as an adult, in the past she's primarily had issues with females coming into the house, so we've always steered clear of those. This go round she has a problem with the male dog. She does the infamous Frenchie lunge if you hold a dog she doesn't know well over her to try and protect it, and she can jump very high. She is also within a month of her heat cycle, not sure if that could be making her more agitated than normal. Either way, has anyone ever had this issue with multiple dogs in the house and if so, how did you remedy the situation? I am considering getting her fixed, but at 4 years old I'm worried it may be too late or the behavior may continue. She is my best friend but I don't know how to stop this particular behavior. She's a very loving, social dog so I don't want to isolate her either and it wouldn't be right or fair to her. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carly
Wendy
user 14072399
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
I have had many issues withmy frenchies being aggressive. My male was fixed at 2 but it was too late he was breaking out of the yard ( I think he was climbing our7 foot fence) to attack other dogs and was also going after people. We tried everything but eventually after advice of many professionals had to euthanize him :( still not sure if that was the right thing. My female was very aggressive to other dogs especially when he was around and near her heat cycle. Since he left she is really turned around. After head butting strange dogs she actually gets along with them, doesn't bark at strangers. She is still intact. I think some frenchies are aggressive because of bad breeding and others are environment. Getting her spayed will definitely help but she may just not like certain dogs. I would start with spaying her. Good Luck!
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 169
Carly,
I did send you an email. I agree with Wendy, aggression can be in large part be due to poor breeding and if you breed a dog with aggression issues it can be passed on to her offspring. I agree spaying often helps, but it depends on the dog and the owner and behavioral modification too. Spaying at at an older age after unwanted behaviors are in place often does not help as much as hoped for. But it is healthier for the female to be spayed and it's always worth a try.

Let me know if you have more questions after you read me other email :-)

Good luck!!!
Gracian