The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Day time crate training question?

Day time crate training question?

Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 3
We have had Zeus for just over a week.
He is now doing awesome sleeping in his crate at night but is having a really hard time during the day. I've been just doing short periods at a time but he does not like it! Anyone have any tips? Crate covered or uncovered? Needless to say he is not potty trained so I really need him to like his crate when I am cleaning or need to run out for a bit....
Ruben M.
user 21122671
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Walk him before you put him there. He'll probably whine for a bit but he'll be too tired to keep it up.
Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 4
He's not even ten weeks old yet so we can't go on walks until he gets the rest of his shots. We play outside but he gets so cold and wet playtime doesn't last as long as it needs too...
Tiffini G.
user 10195315
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
Can you put a dog door in? Sounds like the poor little guys getting crated all the time. That's what we have and our Frenchy practically potty trained himself.
Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 5
We have indoor cats so can't do a dog door. I'm a stay at home mom so he is hardly crated at all, nor will he be - just at night. But I do need him to be able to stay in his crate when I run out or when we are in the car.
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 174
It sound s like you are doing a good job so far. He will get used to it and even learn that his crate is his safe place when he is tired or not feeling well. Ours actually will get in their crate on their own and put themselves to bed when they are not feeling well or it's too late and we haven't gone to bed yet :-)

But here are some tips:
1) Make sure he knows that his crate is a good place and allow him to have a toy or 2 in there with him. At this age a Nyla bone would be ok to chew on but nothing like rawhide that will get soft and be able to choke him.
2) When you do put him in his crate give lots of positive praise and give him a little treat. We use a small piece of string cheese at crate/bed time and now all we have to do is say 'cheeiser cheeiser' and they all run into their crates and wait.
3) If he whines and it bothers you at first, then leave the house for a while knowing he will be safe and settle down. You can just go and sit in your car where it's quiet if you need to. Then when you return see if he will stay in there for about 10-15 minutes longer knowing that you will let him out in a little bit. If he's asleep and you are quiet when you enter the house it may work. Otherwise let him out when you return and give him lots of positive praise.
4) You can also drop small pieces of kibble or treats in his crate during the day and leave the door open so he can go in and nibble on them without being locked in. If he still has toys in there too then he will associate his crate a fun place to be without the door being closed and get used to it.
5) If he goes potty in his crate at this age don't punish him. Get a pet order neutralizer and wash the crate with that so he won't smell it and think it's an ok place to potty. At 10 weeks his bladder is still very small and he will need to potty a LOT. Eventually he will not want to potty in his crate and hold it as he matures.
6) place the crate in an area at home where he is is the mix of life. Living room, kitchen etc. He will want to know that he is not alone. If he sleeping in his crate at night in your bedroom with you that's great, but during the day, until he is used to begin crated, place it somewhere in the main part of the house.
7) When you leave the house you can also leave the TV on low so he will have some company, or the radio. And yes, animal planet is a good choice :-)
8) We DO cover our crates at night for warmth, but I usually leave them uncovered during the day. But since he is so little and winter is upon us I think covering at this stage during the day when you are doing chores or gone is ok too. Sometimes taking the visual away is a good thing so he doesn't pine away for you as he sees you doing chores.

There are a few great crate training articles on the web if you search a little. Also go the AKC web site, they have a few as well as the French Bulldog site that you can get to through the AKC site.

Question? did your breeder send you home with any information of raising, training etc.? We always load up our families with a lot of stuff on training. Frenchies can be hard to train being that they are BULL dogs and can be stubborn :-) Even the cutest sweetest littlest ones. I have a ton of stuff if you would like for info and I'm always happy to share and educate.

Best of luck with your adorable little man,
Gracian
Liz
user 62053722
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 6
Thank you so MUCH for all the great tips! His crate is in our room, so I'm going to start moving it into the family room during the day and try covering it for crate time. AND try the cheese! He is so so good at night now but during the day is soooo hard and so are car rides. I worry if he is not crated in the car when I am alone right night he might get hurt if I stop suddenly.

I would love any information you are willing to share. My breeder has lots of info she shares with everyone, but I would love to get my hands on all the info I can ~ because he IS stubborn, which I knew would be the case .... but wow!

Thanks again for all you help!!!!
Kris
twofrenchies
Seattle, WA
Post #: 36
You are always so helpful Gracian. Thank you for looking out for fellow frenchie folk and providing us all with so much valuable information!
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 175
Awwww, thanks Kris smile