add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Portland French Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Congenital vertebral anomalies

Congenital vertebral anomalies

user 14072399
Portland, OR
Post #: 13
I am not questioning your knowledge and love for your pets. I am simply stating that flea preventative is important and that is why vets recommend it. I am going to assume the animal that died was not using a veterinarian recommended flea product. I have seen many cats and dogs come in very sick and even seizuring from over the counter topicals, such as Hartz and Sargeants, and Bio Spot. I would hope no vet would ever recommend those. If your friends dog died from using a vet recommended product, I would like to know which. I wouldnt want to ever recommend that product to anyone. And honestly I don't like putting topicals on my pets either, but I do keep them on flea prevention.
I hope I didn't offend you, I love my french bulldog community, I just feel that it is important to keep this group informed with all sides of the story.
Gracian H.
user 6787620
Stayton, OR
Post #: 183
Thank you for your honesty and input Wendy. I too want to believe that all vets are into their line of work for the animals. However, I have recently gone through an interesting transition with my old vets office. I thought they were some of the best vets around and they used to be very reasonable. Then one day I go in and get a bill that just about knocked me off my feet! I had noticed that the prices had been going up steadily for about 2 years, but I was being kind and had assumed it was due to the economy. HA! Closer scrutiny on my part and asking out right what was going on landed me with a lot of lies about how all of the veterinary pharmaceutical labs have been shut down and meds are too expensive and hard to get these days and a lot of other BS. Come to find out they are trying to build a new facility and needed to make the current practice look better on paper to secure the loans. A once loyal customer, now a very disgruntled one! I still think that the vets are OK vets and in an emergency they could save a pet. But I have found a better one elsewhere who believes in holistic medicine as well as conventional western medicine and has my loyalty. People change.............Vets change...........Nothing in life is constant except change :-) It's OK to always question your doctors and their ideas, prices, opinions, etc. We are all human and not all humans stay honest at all times.
Seattle, WA
Post #: 42
Wendy-I'm sorry but I'm honestly not sure about which brand of topical it was that resulted in my friend's dogs' death. I'm just wary of all of them now. I actually lost my last frenchie at a young age because of overmedication, which was recommended by a vet. Like Gracian, this has made my question things I'm told by vets. I've had vets suggest tons of things to me but I always research them first and when it doubt, I don't give them. I just treat my dogs' healthcare the same way I treat my own. I do as much research as I can and look for natural options and unless I MUST take something, I don't. Now-a-days there are so many darn side effects that sometimes I feel it's not worth the risk. That said, I know there are plenty of vets out there recommending things that ARE necessary and ARE worth the risk. I just feel like we are each our own kids' best advocate and protector and so I never blindly accept what I'm told by someone who I do not know well enough to understand their motives.
In any event, this is all about this poor frenchie and her back issues. I still feel like the incidents of paralysis make it a complicated situation but would still encourage Cece to do more homework on some other options. I did have acupuncture recommended to me for my boy's back issues and perhaps Cece should look into it? Anything is better that slicing these kids open!