Full Stack Message Board › Some resources around last nights .net discussion

Some resources around last nights .net discussion

Shane
user 63107012
Boulder, CO
Post #: 1
Thank you again for letting me present my stack :-) I really really enjoyed a lot of the discussions and perspectives that bounced around during the course of the night. I just wanted to include some further reading material .

Fun with Circuits
.NET Gadgeteer electronics

Netduino
Adafruit:
Sparkfun:
Sparkfun is located just North of Boulder and they offer a lot of seminars and classes around Arduino project

Denhac is doing an intro to Arduino this weekend
denhac

async await task
I was chatting with Mike a little bit after the discussion and he was talking about Fibers in Ruby. From what I can tell this is Microsofts take on fibers. The ability to make asynch code act sync in a non blocking way and for async background process to not have to create an entire thread.

Mike here's an example of what I was talking about like in a UI example if a user clicks a button
in the example the user clicks a button
it calls a non blocking "fiber" to retrieve an RSS feed. At the point that the "fiber" is called, control is returned to the UI so the app doesn't freeze. When it comes back from the async call it continues the execution on the synchronization context so you can update the UI without having to dispatch back to the UI Thread. So like someone brought up Objective C comparisons. I think in Objective C you would wrap a UI updating callback with "dispatch_async" to update the UI. Using async await you don't have it :-) And as we were talking about a lot of it is syntax sugar.. But a lot of it is that direction of simplifying async interactions.. Which is awesome because I'll take all the sugar I can get for dealing with async and less typing... My wrists won't last forever

F# Functional programming in .net

Reactive Extensions
Javascript

rx 101
These samples are all in c# but the API on the JS and .net libraries are pretty much the same. So it's a good place to get an idea of what you can do

'Microsoft MVC
MVC

MONO
Run your .net code EVERYWHERE :-)

Again thank you everyone that attended. I really enjoyed learning about the parts of Ruby/JS that are analogous to .NET... Seems like there's a fairly large amount of overlap...

Happy Valentines Day and everyone have a good Presidents day weekend
Shane

P.S. I told my "GF/Head of web design" about the vertical spacing part and she was pretty excited :-)