add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Florida Ukulele Network in Palm Beach Message Board › Places to buy a uke in Palm Beach County

Places to buy a uke in Palm Beach County

user 9694111
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Post #: 10
There are lots of great places to buy a uke online, but for me there is no substitute for being able to see and try out a uke in person. Happily a few of the places I visited in the past few weeks, seem to be carrying a greater variety of ukulele than before. For example, one place now caries some all-solid ukes by Makai, a brand I'd never seen in person before. These particular models appeared to be made in the same factory as the Mainlands, and had the same rope binding.

I thought it might be helpful to both newbies and cagey veterans in the throes of UAS, if we kept a list on local uke retailers. That way if you're interested in a particular uke, or brand of ukes, you'll know where to go. Feel free to reply to this thread with updatse or other stores. Anyway, to get the ball rolling:

Chafin Music Center, 608 N. Dixie Hwy, Lake Worth
Last visited Oct. 2, 2010. A few Makala dolphins, and a couple of inexpensive Johnson ukes. I believe they carry Aquilla and Martin strings, though I'm not certain.

Dr. Cluck's Music Emporium. 1600 South Dixie Highway # M Lake Worth, FL 33460-5890 - (561) 586-2181
Range of kalas and Lanikais. Patrick & Joanne have been satisfied customers there.

George's Musician's Superstore Palm Beach Lakes & I-95, in the PB Mall.
As of Nov. 2010. George's had expanded its range of Kalas slightly. They had Makala dolphin sopranos in several colors, Makala and KA laminate mahogany series, a few Kala laminate koa instruments, the all-solid thin-line travel ukes, and the U-Bass. George's now carries Lanikai as well, so far just the LU laminate mahogany series as far as I can tell. They had one or two Ibanez ukes. George's carries Martin and D'Addario ukulele strings.

Guitar Center: Okeechobee Blvd. just west of Haverhill, West Palm Beach.
Last visit, May 2010. Small selection of Cordoba (solid acacia wood) and Mitchell ukes, never more than 2 or 3 ukes; however, they now are carrying a few entry level ukes, maybe Hula brand. Martin strings.

Jupiter Music Store, 275 Toney Penna Dr., Jupiter 33458
A little shop with one or two Makala Dolphins, one Makala mahogany laminate, and some cheap-o sopranos by a company called Lauren, if I'm not mistaken. No more than 4 ukes in the whole store. In the past they have had D'Addario uke strings there. They do instrument repairs.

The Music Center 2550 Okeechobee, WPB (Okeechobee and Spencer Dr)
Last visited Nov. 2010 -- A nice range of Lanikais, mostly lower-end, but including a few solid-top, and one eight-string.

Wolfe Guitars, 2875 Jupiter Park Dr. #400, Jupiter, FL 33458. ...
Last visited Sept. 2010. This is a serious guitar shop. Carries the following brands:
Kala: Makala dolphin, Kala KA laminate mahogany series, the All-Solid Mahogany Series, the koa laminate, and the U-BASS.
Makai: solid mango, solid spruce-top, and mayby one or two others.
Vineyard: colorful boat-paddle ukulele, and laminate mahogany models
Wolfe carries Aquila ukulele strings.

A former member
Post #: 17
Excellent idea!

I've had good customer service at both George's and Wolfe's. Can't speak for the others as I haven't been there yet.
A former member
Post #: 60
Dr. Clucks Music Emporium
1600 S. Dixie Hwy #3
Lake Worth, FL. 33460
I got my Kala U Bass from him and Joann bought 4 different colored dolphin MaKalas for the grand kids.
He carrrys Aquill strings. There is a lot more to the store then meets the eye, He is the local Kala dealer.
He will get about anything you want and for less.

user 9694111
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Post #: 11
Patrick - when I went to dr clucks in the summer of 2009, all of their inventory was in a back room they would not let me into. The man behind the counter would not tell me what ukes he had. He said I had to tell him what I was looking for and/or wanted to spend and he would bring something out for me to see. I asked if he cld let me into the back room so I cld see what he had, and he refused. He did not have a list of what he carried or prices. His attitude was somewhat hostile. So I left.

My experience must be atypical since Patrick and others have had good experiences there. Maybe the key is to know exactly what you want before you go in?
A former member
Post #: 28
Just thought that Tampa Uke Fest should be a good place to shop Ukulele if you go there.
I'm sure you can actually touch, etc...

Now...I want to get decent soprano uke for me. Don't know when & where though...
I just wish I were in Japan, so many selections therecrying!!!
Keith B
user 13111137
Stuart, FL
Post #: 3
My experience here in Martin county is similar
guitars wall to wall and just a few lower end ukes
music stores seem to see ukes as a novelty and that's fine but it would be so nice to try out a uke before buying it as I have bought 2 ukes that I don't really care for how they sound but I still am hopeing that I can alter the sound with different strings
it's all in good fun :-)
user 9694111
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Post #: 15
Two things

1. I edited the initial pos in this thread to include Dr. Cluck's Music Emporium in Lake Worth (recommended by Patrick), and to briefly update the entry for The Music Center in West Palm Beach.

2. This weekend I was in St. Pete for a wedding, and visited Compass Music Sales in nearby Madeira Beach. It is a nice little shop with more ukuleles than any store I've seen in Palm Beach County, though nothing terribly exotic. The owner has played guitar for decades and picked up the ukulele several years ago. They sold guitars, ukes, amps, and miscellaneous percussion and folk (stringed) instruments. As for ukes, they had

Kala: solid acacia, solid lacewood with spruce top, solid mahogany, makala dolphins, etc. Widest selection of Kalas I've ever seen in person. (Though no u-bass).

Oscar Schmidt: including some solid woods and at least once koa model. Broader range that I've seen at other stores, though I admit I'm not terribly familiar with Oscar Schmid's model range.

Ohana: First store i've found in South Florida that carries these. Fairly broad range, including two koa models and several solid wood, as well as laminates

Eleuke: Again, the first store i've found in South Florida that carries these. They had a few of the K-line models (the colorful ones that are at the lower end of their range), plus at least one solid mahogany line. I didn't ask to play one plugged in, but the store also sells amps so I bet you could.

Cigar-box ukes (not sure what brand)

Vineyard ukes.

Probably one or two more brands, though I'm not certain. Their website advertises that they sell Fleas and Flukes, but I didn't see any there. The owner said he was getting in another shipment of ukes soon, though I didn't ask which brands.

Bottom line: This is a good place to visit if you're wanting to try some solid-wood ukes in person and are in the area. Better selection of on-hand ukes than any store in Palm Beach County.

user 9694111
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Post #: 21
UPDATE 1/30/2011

Guitar Center on Okeechobee and Haverhill has expanded their ukulele offerings. Previously, they had never had more than 2 or 3 on hand -- often a Cordoba and a couple of Mitchells. This situation has improved. On Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011, I visited and saw that they have added a Lanikai display, complete with a handful of Lanikai offerings, mostly the lower-end models. They had 3 Cordoba ukes (more than they'd ever had on hand at one time) with either all solid wood construction or at least solid tops. They also had an an AnueNue tatoo model, the first example of that brand I've seen in person.

All in all, a step in the right direction for Guitar Center.
A former member
Post #: 35
David (assistant manager of Guitar center) plays guitar/ukulele/banjo/ violin, etc... I always ask questions & he is very nice.
user 9918728
Duluth, GA
Post #: 20
If you want to try out different makes/models of ukes, plan to come to my house for our next meetup on 2/16. It will be the UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) meetup that we originally planned last month and had to reschedule. Sign up early so we know we'll have a good turnout and won't cancel again. The more the merrier so we can all try all kinds of ukuleles!!! Hope to see you tonight at Patrick's!