align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Furlife Message Board › When to dress up: Being mature

When to dress up: Being mature

MaxCoyote
Fursuiter-Brony
Seattle, WA
Post #: 16
I have noticed a little bit of childish banter in my recent dinner event due to it being semi-formal.

A few have claimed i'm being "insensitive" and "hypocritical" because I am asking for all who attend to dress appropriately.

This place is a REALLY fancy restaurant. It's not only respectful to the establishment, but it's also kinda a DINNER with FOOD. You can't eat with a fursuit on. Kinda no duh guys. That was the reason behind it. A unusual dinner that would be a formal, nice environment few of us ever get to see. I sure don't see it much. So, that night is for US. A night we don't have to express ourselves with costumes or cute MLP tshirts, but a night we can express what is INSIDE of us instead.

The fact is, there is times to dress like a furry, and times to just kinda lay off. Being furry isn't just about pride and defying "the man". It's also about realizing sometimes you shouldn't walk around with a tail and ears. I'm a fursuiter myself, and I don't wear the thing every day. If I goto a wedding or some other event that's not furry related, I KNOW when to leave the suit at home.

I think a few people here don't quite get that. Obviously not since they don't understand the concept of formality, when it's asked. It's not about oppression guys. It's about being an adult.
Ryan (.
Skyan
Seattle, WA
Post #: 67
I have a feeling most of the flak you're getting is coming from the furs who identify themselves as nothing other than being furry. It's not an act or something to be turned on or off... it's who they are, and it goes to a spiritual level. The formal dinner poses a catch-22 by asking them to stop expressing who they are in order to celebrate it.

I think your formal dinner idea is a good one but you gotta remember that the fandom doesn't quite mesh with formal style. There are lots of nice venues out there that would probably allow fursuiting and some general low-level chaos in their party rooms. I guarantee a group of furries with suiters won't be the wildest thing to pass through most resturant's VIP lounges... lol.

So again, your idea is solid, but you might've aimed a bit too high on the formality side of things ;)
FoggyPaws
user 14263344
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 2
I`m sorta on the edge of the fence with this one. I saw this pop up in my email and I jumped for joy at something I`ll finally be able to probably attend! Granted with the lack of job availability I`ve gotta save hard just to pay for it and I`d be honored to make my first, even remotly furry related event the first annual dinner at the space needle, hell it`d even be my first visit to the needle and I`ve lived in Washington my whole 19 year old life! But it is a pretty tall order for some of our more furry-clad friends to ask them to take off the suits. I`d be an avid suiter myself if I could afford it. Either way, I hope even those who preffer to don their fur can go, it`d suck to not get to meet and converse with those who can afford to live that lifestyle... truly envious hahah...
FoggyPaws
user 14263344
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 3
sorry about the double post, my phone`s kinda dinky... I wanted to add, like the person above me said, the suit, for many, isn`t something as simple as a fur suit, as it is who they are. It isn`t so much something they wear based upon their creativity (though in many, if not all cases their creativity is a major factor in the design) as it is an expression of their true self, an image to give those who want to know who the person in question is. I`d think that to some asking them to remove their suits would be like asking to not express themselves for the time. I understand at a resturaunt the staff may be a bit put off my it and that it`d certainly be difficult to eat, but unfortunatly I think some people may not want to come allong for the ride.
MaxCoyote
Fursuiter-Brony
Seattle, WA
Post #: 17
I can call the Needle and ask them what they can do about it. You still can't eat in a fursuit, so that simple technicality makes me wonder what the point is.
Exdraghunt
user 13050616
Seattle, WA
Post #: 49
I do agree with you on the fact that not every event needs to be fursuit freindly. There are times when it's nice to have a meet without suiting up. It's something I always have to field questions for when I hold a movie night. People want to suit, and I always have to say "We're watching movies, you can't see a movie with a suit on anyway, so don't bring it."

I love the idea of a formal dinner (and I would certainly attend if I could muster up the cash, I love pulling out my fancy digs), and it's just fact that there's some people who will not attend because they can't come in jeans and a furry t-shirt. (I will also say that Kae always seems to take offense to having furmeets in places that aren't necessarily furry or if there are lots of regular people around, it's a conversation we've had before.)
FoggyPaws
user 14263344
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 4
I giggle at the thought of wearing a furry shirt under formal wear, though it`d be pretty classy in my opinion hehe. I wonder if ears would out of the question...