Furlife Message Board › Guest chefs and kitchen help at the Stitch and Bitch.

Guest chefs and kitchen help at the Stitch and Bitch.

A former member
Post #: 1
So, call me overly practical but, Michael tells me a number of furs have expressed an interest in either helping out in the kitchen or taking on the role of a guest chef for the stitch and bitch. This is most awesome; however, it does lend to the necessity of discussion to prevent utter chaos in our host's kitchen. I generally prefer to plan as far ahead as I can as last minute silliness drives me up the wall.

What I'd like is a sound off for anyone who's looking to prep something for the meet as well as anyone looking to help out and learn something. Anyone with a nice pocket book willing to make donations to anyone's efforts is also encouraged.

Guest chefs and kitchen help alike need to be aware that you are expected to work clean and clean as you go. Dishes are to be washed as they are used and not left to soak so the host has to deal with the mess after the party.

I am planning on setting up a quick low tea spread for everyone in attendance including a simple Crème Fraîche scone, Scottish Shortbread, and Welsh Rarebit. I plan on making the scones from scratch using a natural yeast starter as well as baking the bread myself. Time constraints and interest in seeing how bread is made from a natural yeast starter will determine if I bake the bread at the meet or at home. Anyone interested in helping out or learning how any of the above are made please let me know. Rarebit is based on cheese and compared to the rest will prove the most expensive item on that menu. Anyone willing to help offset the cost please let me know.

While the above go well with milk and most other simple flavoured beverages, they are geared toward complimenting teas. As such I will bring a bit of tea from my private collection to share.

Everyone planning to make food should be aware of what ingredients and equipment they will need as you may have to provide both.

Anyone interested in taking up space in the kitchen please join the discussion!
Lenare
user 8603072
Surrey, BC
I am looking forward to helping out in the kitchen both before and after, Count me as not only an extra pair of hands but as your dessert girl either. I hope to make 2 kinds of the same thing, one chocolate free one not. I'll be bringing some ingredients but others i'll have to get fresh, and I have the dishes as well that i'll need to make it. I will be needing The Oven for about a half hour though to bake the bottom of it, it's a very rich and sweet desert, but i have a feeling it should go over quite well.

Lenare
A former member
As stated in my reply, I'd love to be a guest chef, though it'd be my first time actually attempting to cook anything. ^-^; I have two recipies in mind that could be the main course for everyone; one for the meat eating furries [Chicken and Mushrooms with Brown Rice], and one for our non meat eating friends [Fettuccine with Shitake Mushrooms and Basil]. Of course, these are only meant for four, but I don't see a problem with tripling or quadrupling the recipies, depending on how many furs are going to show up. Of course, help would be MUCH appreciated, mostly with prepping all the ingredients to make sure everything is ready before we toss it all into the skillets/pots to cook. One thing I will need to know is what exactly Michael has at his house as far as cookware is concerned. More than likely I will go out and buy my own pots and pans, but it would be nice if I didn't have to lug everything along with me. :/ Hopefully someone else will step up to make another main course so the pressure isn't all on me...not that I'd mind, but its nice to have a little variety, right? :3
TelzaShadowpaw
BAR-157
Bainbridge Island, WA
http://veganyumyum.co...­

I'm sure that the vegan and vegetarian people would appreciate something like this. It is one of my favorite vegan recipes. Also, people who are not vegetarian or vegan can't usually tell the difference if you do it properly. They'll just think it is some fancy mac and cheese.
A former member
Post #: 3
Right, so now that everyone is back from FC and the day is closing in hopefully everyone is getting a better idea of what they'd like to do.

I've already stated what I plan to do and as no one has expressed any interest I'll probably be doing a great deal of prep at home and bringing things mostly done to Mike's place. I'll still be proofing and baking the bread at Mike's but, I'll be doing the ferment at my place.

Lenare: Great, I'm sure everyone will be all for desert. I think thus far I'm your only competition for the oven and I'll be arriving quite early to bake the bread and the rest of the goodies. I should have the bread out of the oven by the time the meet starts after which I'll probably be popping in the shortbread while the scones rest/proof and then the scones... It't hardly unreasonable to think that I can turn the oven over to you around 2 or so. Michael has a toaster oven so while I was planning to bring out Rarebit every now and again from the big oven I figured people furs can just as easily grab some from the fridge and pop it into Mike's toaster oven so that it's fresh, hot and yummy whenever they want to eat it.

Also, kudos on being the desert girl. If no one else stepped up I was planning on making mini-custards but, looks like I'm off the hook... and I don't have to cart around 3 dozen porcelain ramekins.

Lumina: I'm sure there will be plenty of us to lend a hand and help you pull off your dishes nicely. If the RSVP list is any indicator there will be quite a few furs showing up. To be honest I think quadrupling the recipes may be a bit much considering all the other foodstuffs that will be available and the fact that not everyone is likely to show or be there at the same time. Michael would like us to avoid leftovers and unless you plan on sending every fur home with a ziplock container full of your nummy foods it's probably a good idea to err on not enough food and making more later to suit demand as I doubt the finished products will keep or reheat overly well. We can easily par cook the pasta and the rice to speed up the process tho.

Anyone interested please sound off within the next couple of days so we can make sure everything goes off without a hitch.
A former member
Post #: 4
Telza: I'd actually discussed offering vegan/vegi options with Michael and he quickly tempered my enthusiasm. Everything I'm offering is Ovo/Lacto friendly but, you know as well as I costs can rise pretty quick on some vegan items and neither of us could say how many would attend it is neither prudent of cost effective to prep something that is likely to go to waste. Michael also said that the few vegans/vegis who've come before have always made sure to take care of themselves...

If there is enough vegan interest we can easily make sure to provide a vegan option. I have vegan family members and have worked in my share of restaurants that cater to that market so I know quite a few dishes and can easily pull something off that is tasty without trying to mimic traditional food items.
Lenare
user 8603072
Surrey, BC
Post #: 2
I love doing dessert and I'll be showing up on Friday evening you'll have the oven all to your self on Saturday, so i'll be available to help prep and chop and what not for you and everyone else that is going to be doing the cooking. Has anyone thought as to drinks though? I know you said tea but i do have a BIG container of Nestle Iced Tea i could bring with me if that would be of any help?

Lenare
A former member
Post #: 2
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about drinks. What we can do is once a good amount of people are there and all the food is almost ready to be served, we'll ask for whoever can to pitch in for what they want to drink and make a store run [if I remember correctly there is a Safeway right up the road from Foxy's house]. Thats usually what happens anyways. :3

As for me, I haven't decided if I'm going to get there a day early or not, but if not I will be there bright and early on Saturday to set up and get things going. I've decided on one recipie to ease the stress on my wallet [Chicken and Rice], and since there will be quite a bit of furries there I'm going to go ahead and triple the recipie. I'm sure that there won't be much, if any, leftover and if there is then I'll worry about getting it out of the house.

I can't wait for this whole thing to get started! ~Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! <^-^>
Lenare
user 8603072
Surrey, BC
Sounds like a good idea i'm getting rather excited as well my self
Lenare
Mika "Lychee" F.
user 8269611
Portland, OR
i know this is a little late, but i saw this and i'll just put in a quick word. i'd love to offer myself to be an assistant of sorts, a third hand in the kitchen and such unless it's too crowded with everyone in there (i don't know how big the kitchen is). a simple aide, yes, but it can help if you're managing the stove and need to add some spices from the cabinet across the room and such. just my two cents here.