Triangle Game Development Meetup Message Board › Meeting Locations

Meeting Locations

Amanda d'Adesky
AmandaDadesky
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 14
Alrighty, guys and gals. It's been about a month since our last Meetup (which I thought went rather well!), so it's about time we scheduled another.

From here on out, we're most likely going to be seeing Triangle Indie Dev folks on a regular basis, as Jorge and I pool resources to make things easier on both of us. The issue at hand: We need ideas for places to meet! Sound is an issue, as having to yell over music or other patrons is usually less than fun. Power is also a concern, as we need plenty of outlets to plug in laptops, netbooks and i-devices to share stuff we're working on.

I'm opening up the floor for suggestions in Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Cary. This way, we can rotate the meetup locations from time to time, to keep the burden of travel from being on the same people month in and month out.

Speak up, folks! Let me know what's on your mind!
A former member
Post #: 12
Im new to the area and am living in Clayton so thats 2 strikes :). I cant help with locations sorry.
Wayne Moorefield
user 19952251
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 2
I know this may sound odd, but card shops that do games like Magic the Gathering and others have large rooms in the back with lots of tables. Cannot order food or drinks, bring your own drinks. But it's quieter than bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, I haven't played those games in years so I don't know which shops still have those rooms available. Maybe we can use it on an off night.
A former member
Post #: 1
Greetings,

Here are some potential meeting locations.

There is a Pizza place (NY Pizza - http://www.theorigina...­) that is closer to I-40 off of Harrison (Google Map - http://g.co/maps/55xf...­ ). They have indoor table seating.

There's also Cameron Village in Raleigh http://g.co/maps/gju6...­ that has a Village Deli And Grill and Village Draft House.

Cheers,

Ed
Brian Crandell
user 14100002
Cary, NC
Post #: 31
NY Pizza looks like the better option - we have some who live near Chapel Hill, and Raleigh would probably be further for them than Cinelli's. At any rate, I will see if I can swing by this pizza parlor to check it out for myself. Thanks, Ed!
Amanda d'Adesky
AmandaDadesky
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 15
You know, while NY Pizza sounds pretty good, it occurs to me we've been overlooking a potential meeting spot that might actually have everything we need: public libraries.

Think about it: Power outlets. Wi-fi. Study rooms. Large tables meant for spreading out and collaborating. Sure, we'd have to be a bit quieter than usual, and we wouldn't be able to snack or drink (if memory serves about the rules), but do we really need anything other than water to wet our whistles enough to discuss games and development?

What say you lot? Is it worth looking into for future meetings?
Brian Crandell
user 14100002
Cary, NC
Post #: 32
NY Pizza is in a good location, but unfortunately the hours are quite restrictive (they close at 9 PM), and I only noticed after checking the place out on Tuesday. That may be acceptable if we schedule for a little earlier. It is next door to Rally Point, which has me wondering again if that would be all-around more convenient. And then there are public libraries, which I think is a worthwhile suggestion. I'm sure we could talk at a reasonable level, since they probably expect groups to collaborate anyway. All we'd have to do is grab a bite to eat beforehand. My only concern is finding a central location, since public libraries are often in the middle of their respective towns.
PJ Slauta
PJSlauta
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 2
I realize this is out of the area, but I have a facility in Greensboro/High Point that could host everyone. The conference room at my company has projectors, wi-fi, power, tables, the standard layout. I know it's probably further than you guys want, but I thought I'd offer.
Amanda d'Adesky
AmandaDadesky
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 16
Hey, its good to have multiple options, PJ. I tend to be the queen of the backup plan. ;)

It may behoove us to have every active member check in with where they are located and how far they are willing to travel for meetups. This way, we can figure out what would be reasonably equidistant for everyone.