add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Triangle Game Development Meetup Message Board › Wanting to learn about making games.

Wanting to learn about making games.

A former member
Post #: 5
Any one have any recommendations for learning the basics of making video games as in books, home study courses, websites, etc.

Brian C.
user 14100002
Cary, NC
Post #: 36
3D Buzz has excellent video tutorials on a multitude of topics, ranging from game engines to modeling and animation packages like Maya. If you're interested in making 3D games, my personal recommendation is the Unity engine. I chose it for my own game over Epic's technology because of the wealth of learning resources available on their site. For 3D games, though, you're better off having programming experience. An intro level college course is all you need. If you're satisfied making 2D games for a while, Game Maker is well suited to simple projects. The Game Maker’s Apprentice covers Game Maker's features. Look hard enough and you’ll find both the book and the resources it comes with online.

If you can make it to one of our meetings, I’d be more than happy to discuss how to get started with game development at length.