The Philadelphia Game Development Meetup Group Message Board The Philadelphia Game Development Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Any one interested in meeting online for an Android study group

Any one interested in meeting online for an Android study group

Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 5
I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting an Android Game programming study group. The group can select a book or self-teach and present projects. I was thinking we could meet online maybe every other week for an hour or so. Let me know if anyone is interested and any specifics (particular book) or project and I will see about setting up and obtaining online meeting space (Skype ...or other)...I was thinking something like ATTConnect where we could see each other's screen. I would could be persuaded to select another tool/platform (e.g. Java, or Unity) if there is enough interest.

Lorraine
George
george05
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 522
This is a good idea, Skype of Google Hangouts may work.

I'm not familiar with AT&T Connect, is there a fee for that?
Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 6
I was thinking of Skype or some other free product that is similar to ATTConnect. There are some websites that offer free online conferencing. The goal is to be able to view slides and share screens. I purchase most of my books as e-books so it will be easier to view and talk about sections in the book online. In addition, the sharing of screens will be needed so we can help view new code and help troubleshoot. I found this works well at the job (we use ATTConnect) with a jQuery study group I attend.

Having online meetings will I think allow more game developers to join from home. I am also open to assisting on a "general" meeting that we can conduct online (not a study group). This will allow users to show or discuss their projects. But, I would think we would like to first organize it (who is going to talk, topic, any material (list of references or links) to be sent out, etc. and time allotment). We should consider it.
A former member
Post #: 5
To add my $0.02, I have finally gotten an Android variant of Atari's "Combat" program working. The computer opponent isn't all that smart though, but it gives a rough solution to the problem of pursuing the player around obstacles. In short, I may have something worth presenting.
Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 8
That is cool!! Do you create your own graphics? I guess that is a dumb question since an Atari based tank is probably rather straight forward to create . It would be interesting to see what you have. Have you been learning Android from using online resources? In the last week APRESS had two ebooks related to Android programming on sale ($10.00) I managed to pick up one related to games.
On another issue: I am surprised with the number of members in this group that there has not been more replies. I am totally disappointed. Where are all the Android game developers?
A former member
Post #: 6
The contraption I made is a proof-of-concept, so I stole graphics from a still of "IKARI Warriors" (which I was terrible at in 1988), as well as the demos from LibGDX-the 3-D capable library I used to make "Tanks A Lot". I were to refine and Market (har har) the thing, though, I would use graphics of my own (or those of someone who wanted to throw in with me).

There is very little Android-specific code I've written, but it was within the frame of the freely-available Android SDK, and learning how to drive that part was a bit of hunting around on the developer node of Android.com.

My knowledge of the Java programming language is far from complete, but it helps that I've a background in C++.

The cool thing about LibGDX is that with relatively little code changing (swapping out the UI code), a game written to run on a laptop can be made to run on an Android phone.
PMac
user 9451173
Chicago, IL
Post #: 96
I'd be interested. This is my first time seeing anything about it.

Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 10
I spoke so someone else who is a member of the group and he is interested in helping me set something up. We decided to make it a more open on-line meeting. That is, we schedule an on-line meeting where everyone is given about 5-10 minutes to talk about that they are working on. I wanted to use a place that will allow folks to share their screen and can talk to each other. We are going to test something out this week and post a general meeting invite if all goes well. We would want everyone to specify up front what they want to present/talk about and show. We will balance out the meeting so it is not too long and has a variety of topics. Please wait for the general posting on the on-line meeting to volunteer to talk.
Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 11
I finally tested GotoMeeting with fellow member of this group. It seems to work quite well. I would like to suggest we arrange an online meeting in about one month (~ May 25, 2013). It can be a GENERAL MEETING - open topics. I can arrange the online meetup and post the meeting information (probably best to send via mail....I don't want too many strangers showing up and making noise). In any case, what I would like so see is how many people would like to present a talk from 5-15 minutes on any game related topic. GotoMeeting allows you to share your screen so you can show off code, game, slides, etc. (we can have a pre-meeting a week before to test everyone's VoIP connection). You will need a headset to talk and listen. You don't have to give a talk to join, but I would like everyone to introduce themselves and state the reason for meeting.
Please let me know if you plan on talking and the topic so I can prepare an agenda and schedule the meetup. Also let me know your preferred day of the week (Fri evening or Sat late afternoon works for me).

Note: If the only two people interested are me and Tom (my fellow tester) I will just meet with him outside this forum. But, come on folks we can do this!!!!

Here is what I need....
Name: Lorraine
Topic: 3D Game Project
Time: 10 min
Preferred Time to Meet: Fri after 7:00 p.m. Sat any time after 3:00 p.m.

Lorraine
user 8882078
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 12
I was disappointed to see no real takers on my willingness to set up an online meeting. I decided to remove my suggestion for a meetup.