The IGDA Sacramento Game Development Group Message Board General discussion › Sacramento is now an official chapter for the IGDA!!!

Sacramento is now an official chapter for the IGDA!!!

Gabriel G.
NascentGames
Group Organizer
Rancho Cordova, CA
WE ARE VICTORIOUS!

After many weeks of consistent & productive emails with the Executive Director of the IGDA, as of last night, I got approval from the lady herself! :)

Here's a very small, but significant bit of proof (just scroll down to the bottom after clicking on the link): http://www.igda.org/c...­

IGDA's website, as a whole, will be getting a solid revamp soon enough. Also, IGDA Sacramento (damn it feels GOOD to say that) will be mentioned in IGDA's next Newsletter coming very soon.

There are just not enough words for the gratitude & excitement I have within. I couldn't have done this without the respondents to my other emails, Joseph, 5th Planet, Leadwerks, Hacker Lab, & many others for really coming together to take this opportunity seriously.

This is just the beginning and there is MUCH to do!

Meanwhile, get your thinking caps on, your passion ignited, & sleeves rolled up! We have work to do, Sacramento!!!

If there are any questions, thoughts, feedback, or offers for pizza that you would like to mention, don't hesitate to contact me: djenhancr@gmail.com (especially for pizza, mmm!)

The vision for Sacramento to become the Independent Game Developer Hub begins here, with you all.

So, please stay tuned as May is going to get REAL!

Be ready.

Cheers,

Gabriel

Founder of Nascent Games

IGDA-Sacramento
Brian L.
user 10133654
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 18
This is really good news and the first formal recognition of the development community here. This might be a good opportunity to put together a website for the Sacramento IGDA chapter, listing all the game companies(funded or otherwise), game related colleges, Hacker Lab and Game Dev Meetup events, and information on how to get involved. Something I've often said about Sacramento is that there's a lot of raw talent here and a lot of people that want to dive into making games, but not a lot of clear information on how to get started unless you already know where to look.

Gabriel, if you're interested, I'd volunteer to put together a comprehensive website dedicated to all that.
A former member
Post #: 367
There is a plan to create a website listing everything you just said! We actually have a domain already igdasacramento.org and I am the one responsible for all the tech/social media stuff right now. If you have a template in mind for it all please send me all the details! My plan is to integrate a lot of other things into it as well, such as meetup data, mailing system, etc.

This was going to essentially be the base template for it, http://sacgamehub.com...­ but Brian if you have something better in mind by all means let me know! Please do not base it off wordpress though.
Gabriel G.
NascentGames
Group Organizer
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 4
Hey Brian!

I did email you this morning. :) Many thanks for that!

But, like Joe mentioned already, anything that can bring more efficiency to the table, I'm all for it. :) Thanks so much again for your help!
Brian L.
user 10133654
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 19
I think that template looks good, Joe. I think it's a good idea to put as much organized information on the site as possible--upcoming events, community news, etc. Now that I'm looking at Sacgamehub, I'm wondering if that is the point of sacgamehub.com to have all that info? Would that make the two sites redundant?

In either case, what I'd like to offer then would be content. If you want to be an artist, how do you get started improving your craft, what are the different options you can focus on, which schools in the area will teach you what. If you're an aspiring programmer, what are the advantages of getting a Game Programming degree at DeVry in Elk Grove vs a conventional Computer Science major at CSUS or UC Davis?

It would also be cool to have a single source of local game news--when someone from the community releases a new game, puts something up on Kickstarter, etc, and have that news be updated to social media sites.

I don't think any of us really want to be the one to make those kind of constant updates(though I'm sure we could find someone who would), but I'd like to volunteer to create a lot of initial content. I can just email it to who ever is building it.
A former member
Post #: 369
"I think it's a good idea to put as much organized information on the site as possible--upcoming events, community news, etc."
Totally agree buddy :-D And that is the plan :-)

"Would that make the two sites redundant?"
Well sacgamehub was actually something that was in the works that I was working on doing that was essentially going to be what igda was just without the support of igda. It got shelved simply because I got busy and I was the only one really pushing it. Then Gabe manage to get in communication with igda and now their is a team of people helping to push things along instead of me. So I am going to revamp it to fit igda stuff and probably make sacgamehub redirect to igdasacramento.org

"In either case, what I'd like to offer then would be content."
Yes buddy, yes to all of that :-D Anything you can give back or help push forward we will need/want your help! We will probably stay in contact with you as I already know you are doing lots of game dev related stuff already.

"game, puts something up on Kickstarter, etc, and have that news be updated to social media sites."
there is plans for a podcast and possibly a news section/newsletter for that sort... Still planning it all out.

"but I'd like to volunteer to create a lot of initial content. "
consistant content is the key here, we are all busy so great to hear you want to help with that :-D Let you know soon as we figure stuff out :-)