Gardening in Public Spaces Message Board › Sugar Seedballs

Sugar Seedballs

A former member
Post #: 1
I've been experimenting with using sugar, rather than clay, to make seedballs. I think I found a way that works. I haven't gotten anything to germinate yet, but they hold together well and dissolve quickly with water. They hold together well enough that you could drop them from shoulder height. I haven't tried tossing them yet, so I don't know how well they'll hold up if you chuck them over a fence.

I used sugar, water, California buckwheat seeds (Eriogonum fasciculatum) and some seed starter soil mix from Armstrong Gardens. I took me a couple of tries to get the sugar/water ratio right, but I finally found that 1/4 cups of water and 3/4 cups of sugar holds together really well.

Mix the seeds and the soil thoroughly together then set them aside. Dissolve the sugar into the water in a small pot and bring it to a boil. It will start out pretty cloudy, boil it until it clears. After it's done boiling set it aside and let it cool. You don't want to burn the seeds. It should cool to a pretty syrupy consistency. When the water is cool, gradually stir it into the soil/seed mixture until you can easily form balls from it. When you're done forming the seedballs, put them in a place to dry. A place where ants won't find them. The ants will leave them alone after they dry, but they'll go after them when they're still wet.
Eric
piano
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 140
What about having a seedball making workshop?
A former member
Post #: 2
That was the plan for the next meeting, which I'll be scheduling soon. smile
Eric
piano
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 181
Why not use clay? We could use the sugar to make jam when we harvest our guerrilla fruits. Clay could be collected locally for free.
A former member
Post #: 3
We can try making both. I'll bring both sugar and clay. The sugar was suggested because it dissolves faster with less rain.
A former member
Post #: 1
just a side note... sugar is generally purified over animal bones... (just a thought) has anybody ever tried wrapping seed bombs in fallen leaves? done correctly it seems like it would hold together.... i've been experimenting with discarded pumpkins from halloween. stick a few seeds in a chunk of pumpkin wall, as it rots it provides fertilizer. nothing grown yet, though...