add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Gardening in Public Spaces Message Board › Finding Vacant Lots

Finding Vacant Lots

A former member
Post #: 4
Are there any vacant lots the city isn't using where we can plant seeds or create a garden?
What kind of seeds are best to plant in certain areas (i.e. traffic islands)?

I'm also interested in learning how to use waste water to water gardens. Is it plausible and feasible?
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 190
Yes, there are definitely vacant lots around. There are many on Maple St. I'm sure there are others as well. Privately owned vacant lots are a possibility as well, if the owner is not using the lot.

Access to water needs to be considered. Ideally there would be a plot that is watered buy not planted or a friendly neighbor willing to provide water. Otherwise we will need to plant drought tolerant plants only

Street views of lots on Maple:­

Here's a community garden on Maple St.­­­

Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 151
All along many of the concrete rivers of Los Angeles are strips of land which could be made productive. There is a project in the works to create a garden along the Tujunga Wash.

Arroyo Seco River & San Pascual­

Arroyo Seco & 110 Fwy­

Arroyo Blvd, 110 Fwy & Colorado Blvd
Check this view from all 360 degrees­
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 152
Eaton Canyon Resevoir­
A former member
Post #: 2
as far as waste water is concerned... i have a friend who puts a bucket in the shower and collects the water while she waits for it to heat up... then uses that to water her plants. i'd never thought of it before she mentioned it.