The Greensboro Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Restaurant suggestions?

Restaurant suggestions?

Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 5
Thank you for posting this, Heather! Jon and I went there for the first time last weekend, and it was DELICIOUS!!! I had the pho and the veg spring roll and was utterly satisfied.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 198
Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Sena! Isn't it delicious?
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 6
Yes! I heard it was wonderful, but I was still completely stunned by how delicious everything was. I wish we could attend the upcoming meet up there, but I'll be at a conference in Cary that day. Anyway, thanks again.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 199
Edited to update that this restaurant is now closed, but has been replaced by Crafted (see further down for Crafted info)

The Red Onion
219-A S. Elm St.
Greensboro, NC

This is a new restaurant that just opened in downtown Greensboro. I had the pleasure of trying it out last night and thought I'd let you guys know what I found. It's primarily a specialty hot dog restaurant, with several other American style dishes.

They have a few vegan options on the menu.

1. They have a house-made, black bean patty that is vegan. You can order it as an entree with salsa and a side or you can order it on a burger with a side. It's very flavorful and delicious. The sides can be a bit tricky, so be sure to ask your server regarding butter and other flavorings. I got a plain baked sweet potato (which I could eat all day, every day) and Brandon got steamed broccoli (without butter of course).

2. They have a hummus wrap - just make sure to order it without cheese. It comes with feta.

3. Additionally, they have vegan dogs! So you can order one of their specialty hot dogs if you're interested. Unfortunately, we didn't try the hot dogs, but we plan to go back and try it out! We did ask about the veggie dogs and the waiter double checked and confirmed that they are vegan. We didn't ask about the buns or any of the other fixin's, so be sure to either call ahead, email, or ask the waiter about it.

I hope you guys get out there and give the new restaurant a try. They are super new and just opened, so they are probably working out some kinks still. We had slightly slow, but overall good, service there. If you go, write back here and let us know how it went.
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 9
Gitano's International Cuisine has opened on West Market Street in Greensboro. Here's their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.c...­ They have a vegan menu in addition to their regular, omnivorous menu.

So far, I've been there twice and tried their cauliflower steak and hummus wrap. Both were delicious! Everything is perfectly cooked. They also offer vegan meats (i.e., chicken and beef), but they have had a hard time keeping them in stock. I encouraged them to keep them in stock to satisfy our strong veg community. The service was very attentive, but almost too attentive when they were slow. I suppose that's not unusual for a new restaurant. The restaurant is attractive inside, but it may struggle due to being in an old, tired strip mall.

Overall, I'd definitely eat there again. By the way, they will have a Valentine's Day dinner special, and they said that they will have a vegan option.

Enjoy!

Sena
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 205
I just wanted to back Sena up and say that Brandon and I ate at Gitano's today for lunch and it was so good! Brandon had the vegan fajitas and I had the cauliflower steak. Everything was delicious, affordable, and fresh. The chef came by and chatted with us. She's planning to add many more vegan items to the menu, including dessert. Apparently, every Saturday they have a new vegan special. Definitely get out there and support this new restaurant, whose owners and chef truly care about creating a good experience for all their costumers.

Gitano's International Cuisine
3932 Suite E W. Market St.
Greensboro, NC 27407
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 206
Uh oh, it looks like Gitano's may be closed. Once we find out for sure, I'll post it up.

Edited: Gitano's is definitely closed.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 214
Chef Samir Shaltout
4212 A West Wendover Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27407

Brandon and I recently tried out the new Egyptian restaurant, Samir Shaltout, on Wendover Avenue. The owner is super nice and sat down with me to show me what I could eat at his restaurant as a vegan. Almost all the items marked vegetarian on the menu are already vegan. The only one that wasn't was the lentil soup :(, which is made with butter. The food is fairly traditional Mediterranean fare, but it is put together nicely and is delicious. The prices are really good too. I highly suggest going into this adorable restaurant and enjoying their food. What we had: falafel, fewl, fattosh salad, pita bread, tahini sauce. All of it was delicious!

Check out the menu here.
A former member
Post #: 1
I see it's been a while since there was any new replies but I wanted to point out that Geeksboro Coffeehouse and Cinema has been carrying some amazing vegan cupcakes lately. Like most, they do offer milk alternatives for mixing with their drinks as well.

Also, It might be nice to create nice comprehensive list to sticky and just edit as it grows (or as any places close).
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 237
James, the cupcakes at Geeksboro are so awesome! I know we stop by there all the time to grab one. I believe that most of the ones I have tried have also been gluten free.

I agree about creating a comprehensive list. One of these days when I have more time, I'll sit down and make one. In the meantime, I hope that people continue to post up reviews and special vegan food finds in this thread.