The Greensboro Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Restaurant suggestions?

Restaurant suggestions?

Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 238
Speaking of new restaurants, I don't know if I've discussed Crafted, which is a fairly new restaurant in downtown Greensboro. It is a tiny restaurant and very busy, but there a ton of vegan options. Burritos and tacos, gourmet style, with vegan options, such as soy chorizo and seitan. Additionally, they have vegan taquitos. Yes. You heard me. Taquitos.

Crafted
219-A S Elm St Greensboro, NC 27401
(336) 273-0030
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 29
Thank you for sharing that, Heather. I can't wait to go!

I want to share that my hubby and I went to Dames Chicken and Waffles at 301 Martin Luther King Jr Drive in downtown Greensboro (note that the hubby is not vegetarian), and they have a delicious vegan waffle. No veggie chicken, but I'm determined to bring a vegan "chicken" product the next time I go. Maybe I can get them to veganize more of their menu. Note that their Shmears are made with real butter, so they also need a vegan "butter" option.

Here is the restaurant's website: http://www.dameschick...­
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 17

https://www.facebook....­

This is a new restaurant tucked away in a shopping center on High Point Rd. We went last night for just a drink but ended up drinks, dinner and dessert in!

I found out about the restaurant last night while I was cruising Reddit. I was surprised to see a restaurant basically advertising itself on r/gso but then I saw it had a lot of comments. Then I was surprised that there was discussion about vegan options happening! According the the restaurant's reply, they do not use lard. So, I had to try it!

Though I had just eaten dinner (a Chipotle inspired homemade dinner, thaaank you cilantro lime rice recipe!), I got the stuffed avocado meal. The stuffed avocado listing looks like it just comes stuffed with a meat but the server said they could do veggies, mushrooms. So I ordered that and it said it came with tortilla soup. I don't always ask the best questions when it comes to whether something is vegan or not but even if I did sometimes you don't get the best answers. But I came away with understanding that the tortilla soup is vegan (no broth used, just water and tomatoes and other vegetables).

The dish was pretty impressive. First of all, the stuffed avocado! It was an avocado, peeled, stuffed and then fried! Whaaat? Unfortunately, I asked and was told that it was something that couldn't really be made without cheese. As I cut into this excitement and pulled away my avocado halves there was cheese everywhere. :( I ate around it, ate the avocado and vegetables and has enough food on my plate anyways to eat and take home. There was rice, toppings (didn't eat the sour cream), and a soft taco (no cheese, made with mushrooms and veggies). Really, I could have just eaten the soup. It was enough and good.

I started eating off of my husband's plate because his dish came with beans...the no-lard beans! The tasted pretty fresh, fresher than any smashed/refried beans I've had at other Mexican restaurants! I was told that the beans are made daily and mashed daily, no lard (and because the flavor can be lost with lard added, I was told). The tortillas are handmade in-house as well (and can vary in softness since they are hand patted and such).

The tortilla soup came with tortilla strips (yum) and cheese on top. I didn't know about the cheese beforehand so I just didn't eat it so I could try the soup. If this soup is legit vegan, I would come here to eat it without the cheese! It was so fresh tasting, light. (Reminds me of talking with Chef Samir at his restaurant about the lentil soup; it sounded vegan at the moment but I recall seeing something on here about there being butter it it.)

I liked the beans, too. I'd want those in a soft taco or something with veggies. We talked to at least three people that work there, they all came to our table and were super nice. We were there kind of late, about 2 hours before closing and we came in when it was empty but then a some parties came in after a while. Anyways, the people we talked to seemed very open to tweaking dishes for customers and have done so for at least vegetarian customers that have come in. The manager (I think he is the manager) even said that they could do a special menu for a party coming in (like vegan, I guess!).

The banana burrito dessert is vegan, according to Reddit, without the ice cream (but the whip cream is non-dairy?).

I usually don't go to Mexican restaurants. Not that I don't want to. The lard/broth thing, yea, but also the ones around me just haven't wowed me. Crafted is different (but it's "not a Mexican restaurant. We're a taco joint!") and Los Gordos is self-described as Tex-Mex with an Italian influence (the sauces/spices are Italian-influenced). Maybe some think I don't want "authentic" Mexican food. Well, I appreciated that the server I talked to bemoaned the use of canned beans at Mexican restaurants (looking at you, old El Carreton, if memory serves me correctly!).

They use vegetable oil for everything, no lard, no broths (or at least mostly no broths). Try it out! See if a group effort can figure out the vegan-ness of Los Gordos :) They were really nice!
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 21
The new Ethiopian restaurant in town has a menu entitled "Vegetarian/Vegan" and the lentil sambusa is vegan, I assume!

The first thing I noticed about the news of the restaurant is that they say they specialize in vegetarian food. Other than butter, there should be no animal products in the vegetarian dishes (experience from growing up in an Eritrean family and recently being told that "of course we have vegan food! [designed for periods of fasting]) and I don't recall any dishes in the veg menu that would have butter in it. We've been there a couple times already! https://www.facebook....­
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 35
Thank you so much for posting this and the Boba House event, Aden! I have been longing for an Ethiopian restaurant in town! That last time my hubby and I went to Charlotte and tried to go to an Ethiopian restaurant there, they were closed. Ugh! So glad we've got our own now! After we try this one, I'll post a review. Thanks again! Sena
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 23
Sena, I've long wondered why there wasn't an Ethiopian restaurant in Greensboro! I mean, I know it won't magically appear but I knew there were plenty of people who would have been interested in going to one.
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 24
Two things:

Ethnosh is having a special event at Taste of Ethiopia https://www.facebook....­

http://www.tasteofeth...­

Haven't been to the Green Bean in a while so I was glad to see even more vegan treats from A Sweet Success Bakery http://www.sanctuaryh...­ The first time I saw the vegan carrot cake, I probably shed a tear. They've got cookies and a pumpkin chocolate chip cake, iced!

Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 37
We went to Taste of Ethiopia last week, and it was DELICIOUS! The service was great, too! We will definitely put it on our favorites list.

What in the world is NoshUp? Is it a MeetUp group for eating? Sounds cool!