The Greensboro Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Must Make Vegan Recipes

Must Make Vegan Recipes

Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 173
Everyone,

If you have any awesome, go-to vegan recipes that everyone should try, please post them up here.

I'm going to start and then pin this discussion, so it'll stay on top for everyone to contribute to.

Everyone should make this broccoli cheddar soup recipe from the new VegNews magazine. You have to use Daiya though... it makes it even more awesome.

Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup

2 Tbs Earth Balance (I'm sure oil would work too)
1 med onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small crowns of broccoli, chopped
2 small russet potatoes, diced
2 Tbs nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt (I didn't use this much)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
4 C vegetable broth
1 Tbs mellow white miso
3/4 C vegan cheddar cheese - Daiya! (1/2 for soup, 1/4 for topping if you want to)

Directions:

In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add margarine, onion, and garlic and saute for approximately 2 minutes, until slightly browned. (It took me a little longer than two minutes)

Add broccoli, potato, nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 more minutes, then add vegetable broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook partially covered for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.

Add miso. With an immersion blender, or in a regular blender in batches, blend soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently stir in 1/2 cup of vegan cheddar cheese. Garnish with about 2 tsp cheese atop each bowl of soup (optional).

One addition - I finely chopped up extra broccoli and added it right after I blended the soup, so it softened while the vegan cheese is melting. This gives the blended soup a more traditional broccoli soup look.

Serves 6.
A former member
Post #: 1
Vegans from NC are special in this global movement, as 900 South Post Road in Shelby, North Carolina, is ground zero for many.

I found many recipes through them on this website:
http://www.hacres.com...­

original favorite of mine was the crock pot Italian stew in soup section.

A former member
Post #: 423
With spaghetti squash in season, this is a great time for this yummy, easy and healthy vegan recipe!

Green Pea Pesto Spaghetti Squash

from http://eats2live.blog...­

4 main dish servings, 6 side dish servings

1 medium spaghetti squash

1/2 cup tomatoes (I used a can of tomatoes)

2 tsp oregano

1/2 cup frozen green peas

4 cloves garlic

1/2 cup fresh or frozen basil

1 1/2 - 2 oz. pinenuts (I used walnuts)

Cook spaghetti squash by preferred method. I like to pierce it several times and microwave for 4 minutes, then cut it in half & scoop out the seeds, put the halves face down on a dinner plate & microwave for another 8 minutes or so, until soft.

Once cooked, remove strands from one half of squash and add to a lightly sprayed 6x9 rectangular baking dish (or similar size) along with a little squash from the 2nd half. Stir in tomatoes and oregano.

In a high powered blender add the green peas, garlic, basil, pinenuts and the remaining squash. Blend until smooth & creamy.

Spread pesto across the top of the spaghetti squash and place in preheated oven. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes, until pesto seems to have firmed up some.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 194
I think everyone should make:

Scalloped Potatoes and Eggplant Bacon on theppk.com. Isa Chandra Moskowitz is the best!

It's ridiculous and it's easy to make. Plus I'm always excited about soy free vegan bacon options.

Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 197
Here's another Isa Chandra Moskowitz recipe from her new book Vegan Pie in the Sky.

It's ridiculously easy and fast and it tastes great with the Soyatoo whipped cream from Earth Fare!

Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie

1 prepared 9 inch cookie crust, storebought or homemade

3 cups almond milk, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch salt
3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

In a small (2 quart) sauce pan, combine 1 cup of almond milk and the cornstarch. Use a fork to whisk until the cornstarch is good and dissolved. Whisk in the remaining milk, the sugar, cocoa powder and salt. It’s okay if the cocoa is a bit clumpy at first, it will dissolve eventually.

Bring mixture to a boil, whisking occasionally. Keep a close eye because once boiling, you want to lower the heat and bring to a slow rolling boil. Whisk consistently until mixture is thickened, which should be about 7 minutes.

Add chocolate chips and mix to melt. Stir in vanilla. Pour the pudding into the prepared pie shell and let cool for about 15 minutes on the counter, just until it stops steaming like mad. To keep a skin from forming, place a circle of parchment paper over the filling. Refrigerate and let set for at least 3 hours.
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 7
Hi All,

I made a vegan meal for our holiday get together yesterday, and everything turned out delicious! I credit the recipes, because I'm not the best cook. I found the recipes on www.food52.com. They were each easy to make. I'm providing the links ranked with my favorite first:

http://food52.com/rec...­

My non-vegan husband loved this meal, by the way.

Happy New Year!

Sena
A former member
Post #: 16
Egyptian Edamame Stew

I first made this when I was omni and it was an instant favorite of mine. Enjoy!
A former member
Post #: 17
Chickpea and Tomato Curry

Easy, cheap, and it comes together quickly. Love it!
Henry
user 6395686
High Point, NC
Post #: 17
Try sweet potatoes stuffed with kale, white beans and rosemary.
http://www.thekitchn....­
Henry
user 6395686
High Point, NC
Post #: 18
I also love making a redneck version of stuffed grapeleaves, using blanched whole collard greens as the wrap, and blackeyed peas seasoned with garlic , onions and thyme and rice (vegan Hoppin' John) for the stuffing. Served at room temp and dipped into vinegar with hot sauce. I find the collards need to be cooked in a big pot of boiling water long enough to make the a little tender. The smaller leaves are better and usually don't need to be "boned", ie, cutting out the tough stem first. Big hit with everyone who has tried them.