The Greensboro Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Introduction

Introduction

A former member
Post #: 12
Hello everyone. I look forward to meeting with some of you in the future. I have been struggling with healthy diet over the past several years. I always slip back into unhealthy decisions and think it's now time for me to build a support network of friends with similar views as me.

I watched Vegucated the other day and am astonished by the poisons that are emitted into our earth and atmosphere simply by "unconscious" eating. I'm sure you all understand I'm not talking about eating in our sleep lol. I have vowed to do my part to help lessen that impact.

My husband is not at all supportive of this type of lifestyle and is hesitant for me to do so as he is afraid I will try to push him to do the same. He is adamant on NOT eating healthy. Though this makes for a tricky home I will not try to push anything on him. I am hoping to make the healthy alternatives much more available and hoping he will eat healthier by default.

My biggest hurdle though is that I am not friends with my own kitchen. I hate to cook or prepare. I decided to eat "raw" before in an attempt to eliminate this concern but alas I love cooked foods.

Look forward to hearing a brief intro from others close to me and active :) I'll hope to attend the next gathering.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 225
Hi Cindy! Welcome to the group.

I went vegan about five years ago. Although my husband was super supportive and cooked vegan foods for me, he vowed that he would not go vegan either. After eating the delicious foods and picking up a book all on his own, he went vegan as well. I didn't push him or force my opinion on him. He found his own way to it. I think it sounds like you have the right idea. Do your own thing, allow him to do his thing, and he may or may not find his way to veganism, but I think he'll become more supportive of your decision.

As for cooking, it just takes time. Get some really good cookbooks (any by Isa Chandra Moskowitz) and learn by trial and error.

You may want to check out the local vegan pledge support system that is out of Chapel Hill. It seems like a great program for a new vegan (and it's free!). It has cooking classes and support groups: http://www.panveganpl...­
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 21
Hi Cindy,

My husband is supportive and eats a lot of vegan meals, but he remains omnivorous. I wonder if it would help for your hubby to see that vegan can be decadent. I have found some wonderful recipes online for vegan foods that are delicious but not at all lowfat. I know that your goal is to improve your health, but I wonder if it will help him to see that vegan can be just as much about yummy as it can be about health. Remember, potato chips and french fries (fried in vegetable oil) are vegan.

About cooking, I never liked cooking until this past year. The book Horizons, by the owners of the old Horizons vegan restaurant in Philadelphia, got me started. The recipes are easy, and my husband and I can't find one that isn't delicious. As you delve further into being vegan, you may find that you enjoy exploring making homemade delicious foods. I've been vegetarian since 1985 and vegan for about a year, and it took me this long to enjoy cooking!

I wish you all the best!