GDG Boston - Google Developer's Group Boston Message Board › UStream for Off-Site Speakers?

UStream for Off-Site Speakers?

A former member
Post #: 1
At the recent Opa talk, we had the benefit of learning about this wonderful new programming language from one of the experts on it, even though he was in Paris and we were Boston. The content was outstanding.

We were using Google Hangouts, which seemed fitting, since our host that evening was Google at their location in Kendall Square. Originally, we were going to have a speaker live in the venue, but that needed to change last minute. Thus, the organizers had to race to try out a new system. It actually worked pretty well, all things considered. But it wasn't perfect. It wasn't a really good test of the technology, due to the circumstances.

What I was thinking is that perhaps we could try out a couple of different ways of handling off-site speakers. In the past, I took a course live using UStream. See: http://www.ustream.tv/­ It worked very well. It was a little different in that off-site people would type in their questions, rather than talking, and it's organized more towards people being on their own machines (presumably at home or at work) rather than having a large audience on one end. But it worked very well.

I'm just throwing this out there so that we can explore different ways of doing things. I really want to thank the organizers for handling a difficult situation at the last minute, and pulling it off pretty well.