Google Developer Group Silicon Valley Message Board Discussion Forum › Google I/O Motorola Droid phone arrived with instructions for Nexus One phone

Google I/O Motorola Droid phone arrived with instructions for Nexus One phone

Alan Carwile
user 9718299
Los Gatos, CA
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I am registered for Google I/O, and I was happy to receive a Motorola Droid phone this week. It came with a letter explaining my service options and summarizing features and apps of particular interest to developers. However, that letter was all about the Nexus One phone. I sent an email to the googleio gift email address letting them know about the mistake. I've asked them to send a copy of the correct letter for the Motorola Droid instead, but I haven't received anything other than the automatic ticket acknowledgement. Perhaps everyone in the U.S. is getting the wrong letter. Or maybe not.

I realized someone in this group may have the correct letter. Let me know if you have a copy. If you don't have a scanner, I work near Great America and live in Los Gatos and could meet you somewhere to get a xeroxed copy (and scan it in for anyone else).

Thanks,
Alan

To: Google I/O Gift program

Thanks very much for the gift phone, and for sending it ahead of time!

I received my phone today (under the Google I/O Gift Program), but it came with the wrong introductory letter in the box. The 3-page letter on 8.5x11 paper says it is a NexusOne, but it is actually a Motorola Droid. The "packing list" paper says:
1 - Motorola Droid
MOTA655/G001
2 - Motorola handset Google Letter
MOTLETTER/G001

The instructions say:
We're pleased to present you with a complimentary Nexus one...
and proceed to tell me about the options for the type of phone I do not have.

Can you email (or point me to) the letter that should have come with the Droid?

I'd also suggest adding both letters to the gift faq at:
http://code.google.co...­

Thanks!
Alan
Kimo Crossman
KimoC
San Francisco, CA
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Same thing happened to me - I have emailed Google IO but no response yet.
Maksim Ustinov
maksimu
San Leandro, CA
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

Hope this helps!

Maksim
James Williams
ecspike
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 7
You should have been prompted on bootup to activate the phone. If you don't get that prompt or try to make calls or download apps from the market and it fails, the phone isn't activated.

To get back to the activation screen, goto Settings -> Privacy Settings -> Factory data reset.

After the phone boots back up, follow the instructions here from Verizon's site and you'll be able to use the phone and download stuff from the Market.
Van Riper
van.riper
Group Organizer
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 25
The link to the Verizon web site instructions mentioned earlier in this discussion are even better than this, but, I did obtain a PDF version of what was supposed to go to everyone. For what it is worth, they did discover the mixup and correct it at some point. However, that is not much help to the folks that received theirs before the mixup was corrected.

PDF version of activation instructions you should have received is now uploaded to the files area of this meetup group.
Alan Carwile
user 9718299
Los Gatos, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks all... Maksim's post is what I was looking for, the Droid version of the instructions. I'm posting here the NexusOne version of the instructions (heavily scribbled upon - apologies) in case those are of interest to anyone getting the NexusOne.

The person who handled the email I sent to Google I/O Gift program provided the PDF version of the activation instructions that Van posted. They did not have the letter that Maksim posted, so I'll refer them to this topic to find the info in case others ask for it.

I activated the phone as mentioned - you get prompted through it. It was more the auxiliary stuff from the letter that I wanted to get. The two letters are pretty similar.

Thanks all !
Alan Carwile

Google Nexus One Page1
Google Nexus One Page2
Google Nexus One Page3