|Sent on:||Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:41 PM|
Deadline: 3/19/2012 at 5 PM
Under the general guidance of the Information Systems Manager, this develop and maintain base maps and perform associated mapping functions using the geographic information system (GIS) computerized mapping database, analyze geographic data, perform GIS computerized mapping functions, and provide technical services and support.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Operates and maintains geographic information system (GIS): creates, maintains, and updates data in GIS database; enters data from various sources into GIS system; maintains the system by cleaning-up and manipulating files and data as necessary.
• Creates and manages datasets; designs and edits geographical databases; creates and modifies data files by entering electronically converted data into appropriate database system.
• Performs mapping functions: performs graphic editing, line cleaning, topology building, and database updating; converts datasets from other formats; converts map data to digital format using GIS software; digitizes hardcopy materials and information.
• Analyzes complex geographic data: queries databases for analytical information and conducts analysis of datasets; and produces digital statistics; conducts research of maps, legal/court records, computer databases, Internet sites, hardcopy materials, or other sources as needed.
• Creates and produces various maps or other GIS-related products; produces hardcopy plots; provides digitized and hard-copy maps and visual aides to City or public officials, departments, the public, and other interested parties as appropriate.
• Maintains digital maps used for zoning, land-use, planning, and documentation of infrastructure.
• Provides technical support and assistance to system users, City officials, and others as appropriate.
• Collects data for projects using global position system (GPS), imagery, or other methods; verifies and updates information; identifies relevant available data sources; installs survey control points at designated locations.
• Maintains a consistent, high quality, customer-focused orientation when conducting business and providing services or products to clients, the general public and other external customers.
• Maintains a high level of technical skill by attending and completing various seminars and training courses and reading appropriate literature.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
• This position is located in the Information Systems Department. As a member of the department, the GIS Specialist will be called upon from time to time to supplement the IT staff in providing desktop and system support for the city, depending on workload and the department’s needs.
• Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geographical Information Systems, Computer Science, or closely related field; supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving geographical information system operations and computerized mapping, with experience in specialized area/department of assignment; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Experience with 911 center mapping systems, computer system repairs, networks, servers, and phone systems is a plus.
Applications may be submitted by one of the following methods:
Email: [address removed]
In person or by mail: City of Smyrna Human Resources Dept., 2800 King Street, Smyrna, GA 30080