The Memphis German Club Message Board › German Imports in Memphis

German Imports in Memphis

Frank
user 83411542
Memphis, TN
Post #: 1
Hi
Can anyone tell me what sort of "real" German products you can get in Memphis (or maybe what you wish you could get)?

I heard you now have Aldi, what about Lidl or Penny or other stores like that?

Can you get German schnapps, beer, wine, Haribo, etc?

Thanks for any input!

Brandon H.
user 10550754
Memphis, TN
Post #: 3
Due to what I believe is part of the reality of 21st Century globalization, many of the imported products are not actually imported, but rather manufactured in US-based plants and then labelled as Haribo, Rittersport, etc.

Rittersport is the classic example I often reference and tell people, "look for the label with German writing all over it," for the one with English writing tastes different, despite it saying "product of Germany."

Indeed, the US has Aldi, though I believe it is ALDI Nord and not ALDI Süd, just as Trader Joe's has been in the US for a while now, though owned by ALDI Nord.

To the best of my knowledge, no Lidl or Penny stores have opened here, though I would be surprised if they brought anything new to the US. From my experience, most of these "German products" aren't really what you would eat in Germany, but altered to US taste preferences, which, unfortunately for me at least, happen to be contrary to my German taste preferences.

Last thing to offer some further clarity... when I came back from Germany in Fall 2008 after living there for a year, I went into an ALDI, which was recently opened in the northeastern US. The look of the store was similar to what one would find in Germany, though the products were not. They were, for 95% of cases, American "knock-offs" and not products actually from Germany. Possibly, people will disagree, though this has been the brunt of my experience here and this has not changed after living in South Tyrol for a few months, where tastes were more akin to Germany preferences.

For me, TJMaxx has offered more German labelled and thereby, actual German tasting products from Germany, than anywhere else I have gone. Specialty candy shops in San Francisco would sometimes have what I would call "proper Rittersport", though even this has become harder to find. I have just accepted that I will need to return to Germany to enjoy German tasting food, since it doesn't seem to be in the interest of someone to provide me with anything even close to suitable here in the US.

Possibly, this will answer your questions...

Brandon
Maria T.
user 84872862
Memphis, TN
Hi
Can anyone tell me what sort of "real" German products you can get in Memphis (or maybe what you wish you could get)?

Check out Big Lots, sometimes you can find Jacobs Kaffee there as well as a few other things. My sister says that there is a German deli in Dallas that will do mail order.
Roland
user 14308461
Memphis, TN
Frank,
Aldi is actually Aldi Sued.
Depending on the products you will get some real german Aldi products (mostly in seasonal items)
or globalized crap. E.g. the chocolate is mostly the real deal made in Germany or Austria, but the Haribo is
made in Turkey, so they could throw in all the chemicals and artificial color Germans won't accept
in theirs. The overall quality is less than what you would expect from Aldi, but it still beats most others.
I am more saddened that stores now sell Beer labeled Beck's or Paulaner but which is brewed in St. Louis.
What I am missing most are good options for bread, rolls an pastries without food coloring (they even throw yellow in croissants...)
Caroline J.
user 13699523
Memphis, TN
Post #: 2
Fresh Market offers plenty of imports, though much of it seasonal. Chocolates from Germany can be found all over Memphis. Kroger has an international section, best in the Byhalia Road store, although limited. I've never seen anything really German in Aldi's, except for Marzipan and a few other seasonal chocolates. In fact, I don't like any of their other foods - all seem ultra processed. For good bread, almost identical to broetchen, get the Alexia white rolls in the frozen section of Whole Foods, and sometimes Fresh Market, and often Target Superstore in Cordova. They are all natural, have a great crust and soft insides and are amazing. Whole Foods has some other German items, as well. While TJ Maxx has a few, and so does Marshall's, they are often not fresh. For pastries without food coloring or real butter croissants, go to Whole Foods. They also have the German Rye bread, pumpernickel, etc. Good Luck!
Jeremy
user 7541729
Memphis, TN
The new Kroger's (Poplar Plaza) has a German section in their international aisle. I didn't look too carefully to see if they were 'real' German products, but the pumpernickel and other breads were the same as I have bought at Big Lots.