The Memphis German Club Message Board › Host an exchange student!

Host an exchange student!

Beth E.
user 14572700
Memphis, TN
Post #: 36
CIEE is always looking for host families. We have students from 65 different countries, and there is sure to be a student who is a perfect fit for your family!

Founded in 1947, CIEE is a non-profit, organization specializing in international work and education. Our mission is “to help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.” With over 63 years of experience in international education, CIEE is the largest and longest running sponsor of exchange programs in the U.S.
We are currently looking for families in this area to host a high school exchange student from another country for one or two semesters during the upcoming school year. In return, host families can learn about another culture, enjoy lifelong friendships with students, fulfill the dream of a young person, be an ambassador for America, have a great experience, and much more.
Host Families:
• Accept a student into their home as a “son or daughter” for one or two semesters
• Provide a bed and room (student can share a room with a host sibling of the same gender within 4 years age difference)
• Share 3 meals a day (if students choose to purchase school lunches it is their responsibility)
• Receive local and regional support 24/7 for any needs (we have a 24 hour emergency hotline)
• Claim a $50 per month deduction on their federal income taxes
Students:
• Are aged 15 to 18 (Grades 10-12)
• Well screened
• Speak English
• Have their own spending money
• Have full coverage health insurance
For more information about becoming a host family, here's a link to our host family web site.
www.ciee.org/highschool
When you get ready to fill out an application, please click on the following link http://usahs.ciee.org...­ Remember to SAVE each section of the application to avoid the system timing out.

You will need to upload the following photos:

Family photo
Exterior of home
Student bedroom
Student bathroom
Kitchen
Common area of your home
Please feel free to call Megan at 800-949-0819 or 615-895-9560 if you have ANY questions.
Also, please feel free to forward this information to your contacts!! We need all the help we can get in finding caring host families for our kids!!
Thanks again for considering this unique opportunity to share your heart and home with an international teen.

Here are some of the students who currently need families.

Marius is a 15 year old boy from GERMANY. I am a very positive, open minded, cheerful boy who loves to laugh and to have fun. My family is very close and we love spending time together. I have two older sisters and both of them spent a year abroad and told me a lot about their experiences. My family has also hosted a girl from England, so I know what it is like to be a host family. We have no pets right now, but I used to have rabbits, which I liked, but I also like other pets. In my free time, I play tennis in a tennis club and I have been playing the trumpet for 8 years. I would like to join a tennis team and volunteer with kids because I love them. I also like inline skating and cooking. Maybe I can cook a traditional German meal for you. I think I could learn a lot about your life and I hope I can bring the German life a bit closer to you. As a future career I can imagine going into event management. Religion: Marius is catholic and would like to attend catholic services in the US. DPOK, SPOK, GCOK. GPA: 3.60 SLEP Score: 52 Program Length: 5 months Allergies: None

Paul is a 16 year old boy from FRANCE. Many people tell me that I am a generous and open-minded, my patience can sometimes be useful in some bad situations. My passion is definitely the piano and I cannot refrain from playing every day since I have 3 years old. I am part of a running club and I especially like the mountain whatsoever for skiing or hiking, I love to watch movies whether modern or not, and playing to chess and board games in general. I traveled a lot during my childhood and unknown spaces do not scare me; me and my family always slept in local people’s house during our travels. I have one older sister. I have always had cats in the house since I was born and I like pets in general. DPOK. GPA: 3.30 SLEP Score: 60 Program Length: 10 months Allergies: Dust allergy

Mara is a girl from Germany. I am a happy extraverted girl. My friends and my family say that they can trust me and I am very cooperative.
Besides my school tasks I love joining the soccer club and the Big Band of my school. There I play the Saxophone.I also play in an other orchestra. At school I am a tutor, who helps the pupils, just entered our school. At home I often help my old grandma in cooking and cleaning her flat. On my program I would like to join a soccer club or an orchestra. I also love children, so I could imagine to do voltunteer work with kids. In my freetime I enjoy meeting friends. I have a brother and a rabbit and I live together with my mother and her life partner. SPOK. GCOK. PetsOK except allergic to cats and afraid of snakes and spiders.