A former member
Post #: 4
I'm starting this thread for all WordPress related discussions. And to kick it off, I'm including a link to one of my blog posts: Easy 10 Minute Wordpress Install with GoDaddy. This post was intended for those who realize that WordPress might be an wise solution, but don't know how to make it happen. A video is included there.

Please be aware that GoDaddy hosting may not be the best host to go with. Actually, Eric has a hosting company, Ivy Cat & you should check out his services before signing up anywhere else.
Eric A.
sewmyheadon
Group Organizer
Gig Harbor, WA
Post #: 27
Hey, thanks for the link, Steve. I'll try to update later on with some notes and links from last night's Meetup.

Also, thanks for the mention of IvyCat. :)

I feel like I should apologize for my little GoDaddy rant last night. I didn't mean to sound like an arse - I've just had recent experiences with their shared hosting that frustrated me and maybe I let me mouth go too much.

I think GoDaddy is a wonderful company and they provide really great support for domains, hosting and their other products. They are a perfectly fine host and registrar.

My personal experience is that their shared hosting servers are slower than I'd like and they distribute some of the resources from an account, so databases are kept on central database servers, not on the same server as your site.

Of course, that's not a problem, in theory - in fact it can be a great thing if you've got a really large site, or multiple sites tying into the same database(s). Big hosts like GoDaddy really pack their accounts on shared servers, and they offload database operations to other servers, I'm sure partly to reduce server load and also because only a fraction of sites use databases. I just found that when setting up databases and making DNS changes that it sometimes has taken GoDaddy's system 20 - 30 minutes+ to actually make the changes.

For most, this may not be a problem, but I'm impatient and quite used to being able to setup databases and applications as quickly as I can move (which is not always that fast), but always faster than GoDaddy's system can keep up.

I used the auto-install at GoDaddy to setup a Joomla site for a customer two or three weeks ago, and it literally took an hour before the auto-installer set it up, which was too long and inconvenient for me.

I'm just used to being able to get in, setup stuff in real-time and rock & roll. :)

Anyway, I hope that clarifies my feelings. GoDaddy is a wonderful company and if their hosting setup works for you, they're awesome. smile
Eric A.
sewmyheadon
Group Organizer
Gig Harbor, WA
Post #: 28
Hey, I forgot to mention at the Meetup last night that there are TONS of big name sites running WordPress for both blog-type functionality, but also as a full-fledged CMS.

You can see a showcase of some of the sites at http://wordpress.org/...­

I was most impressed to learn from Matt Mullenweg's speech at WordCamp Portland that SitePoint.com, one of the largest web dev sites on the net, is powered by WordPress. They do use other technologies on the site, such as vBulletin forums, but the bulk of the site runs WordPress. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks Eric, I really appreciate your knowledge about all this stuff. And I can know that a dedicated server is a better alternative. I just feel that for some, the no-brainer setup, along with low-cost, is the best way to go. We'll have to discuss this further ...
Anne
pepperpotdesign
Bremerton, WA
Post #: 1
This tutorial from Six Revisions really helped when I was setting up Xampp

Using XAMPP for Local WordPress Theme Development

Also, Chris Coyier @ CSS-Tricks (search for 'WordPress') has some great video tutorials for working with WordPress. He's also writing a book Digging Into WordPress. It's not out yet (soon, I hope), but he does have a site for it digwp.com with good tips.
Eric A.
sewmyheadon
Group Organizer
Gig Harbor, WA
Post #: 29
I've read a few WordPress Books and one I recommend for those interested in WordPress Theme Design is:

WordPress Theme Design
(A complete guide to creating professional WordPress themes)
by Tessa Blakely Silver
Packt Publishing

I found it pretty helpful, but wished I'd had it when I started theming as it would have saved me hours of time. No, days.

I'll bring it to the next Meetup so you can review it.
Lisa K.
user 2657686
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 29
I've read a few WordPress Books and one I recommend for those interested in WordPress Theme Design is:

WordPress Theme Design
(A complete guide to creating professional WordPress themes)
by Tessa Blakely Silver
Packt Publishing

I found it pretty helpful, but wished I'd had it when I started theming as it would have saved me hours of time. No, days.

I'll bring it to the next Meetup so you can review it.

At WordCamp Seattle it was mentioned that WordPress for Dummies is a good book. Might be worth checking it out from the library.