addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

gnocode Message Board › Local Government Websites Suck

Local Government Websites Suck

James
painperdu
Kenner, LA
Post #: 2
I hope none of you work for any of the local government websites because they suck as far as structure, navigation, and usability go.

Also, I think these localities need to put more creative and interactive information on their sites. For example, the only way to complain or posit problems about the community is to email someone who might reply. Even if they reply the answer is usually canned more of a brush off than an interest.
A former member
Post #: 2
Most government sites suck because they are designed by committee. Design by committee never works, you end up with Yahoo circa 1999 instead of Google (150 potential user paths instead of one)
James
painperdu
Kenner, LA
Post #: 3
Actually, one of the features I think would greatly enhance municipal websites would be a Yahoo style Q and A functionality (ala Yahoo Answers). Doesn't government want to hear from its citizens?!

Many of these sites don't have a designer. They have a server admin who really doesn't understand design and UI.