Go classical ! Message Board › By way of introduction

By way of introduction

Paul
user 146413182
Group Organizer
Zürich, CH
Gruezi Zurich music lovers,

Now that I suddenly find myself the organiser of your group, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and hopefully get some ideas and suggestions from you, the members, as to what you would like to see (and above all hear) happening.

I am Paul and I've been in Zurich for seven years, working as a business journalist with an international news agency. I'm originally from Holland, though I spent the past two decades in Germany, England and now Switzerland.

A few weeks ago, I got the same email from Meetups that I guess you've all had, saying the current organiser had quit and the group was going to be shut down unless a new person stepped forward. I had never counted on being the organiser of a group that I had only just joined, and thought I'd sit it out for a few days to see if anyone else wanted to do the job. But when a second email came saying that closure was now imminent, I thought it would be a shame to just let this meetup die and leave 450 members homeless.

I have no idea how active this group has really been in the past, and how many of you have been to meetings and concerts. I also have no idea who you guys are, what kind of music you enjoy, and what your expectations of a group like this are. So short of doing anything overly formal, I'd love to hear from you! Do send a short note with any comments, suggestions, complaints and whinges that come to mind, and let's see where it takes us. Music is an adventure, and I think this meetup should be too.

My own classical music tastes tend to revolve around baroque (Bach and friends), classical (Haydn/Mozart/Beethoven), romantic (Schubert, Brahms) and 20th century (Shostakovich, Bartok, Stravinski, Ravel). That's not to say I consider myself limited to those composers. I love practically any music that makes me sit up and really listen, and am always open to new ideas. I haven't been to anywhere near enough concerts in Zurich, and I don't even know the scene here all that well. Do any of you know about the informal concert circuit, aside from the mainline venues such as Tonhalle (churches, back rooms, cinemas, you name it)? From my days in Amsterdam, I remember that being an extremely lively, fun and inexpensive way of hearing all kinds of interesting music. So do tell...

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a gig that we could go to in the short term, although it seems the 2013/14 season is pretty much wrapping up as everyone prepares to head off on their summer holidays. The next thing I see on the horizon is the open day at Tonhalle on September 9, so that may be worth pencilling into your calendars. I'll go on looking, but any ideas are most welcome!

Thanks for joining, thanks for being there, and hope to meet you soon!
Paul

P.S. All replies to this message will go to me personally and won't be shared with the group unless you want me to. So please speak freely!