Google App Engine enables developers like you to build web applications on the same scalable systems that power Google applications. App Engine applications are easy to build, easy to maintain, and easy to scale as your traffic and data storage needs grow.
With App Engine, there are no servers to maintain: You just upload your application, and it's ready to serve to your users. This meetup gives you a solid foundation in what Cloud Computing and Google App Engine are as well as gets you started with practical workshop of actual building an application.
1) Google AppEngine Architecture Overview
2) Google AppEngine Administration Console
3) Coding together (we'll provide skeleton app) using Datastore and Memcache
4) Scalability Testing using ab
5) Q&A + open discussion
Attendees should have good software engineering skills with Java. Please bring your laptops and make sure you have Eclipse installed with GAE Plugin (https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/tools/eclipse)
- Please have a valid Google account (gmail or Google Apps) - Please make sure you have Apache Bench (ab) command line tool installed
- Please have the latest Eclipse with the latest App Engine Plugin installed (1.9.0)
- As we are we will be coding a web app in Java, some basic knowledge in html and JSPs will help you get through the workshop more comfortably
- Login to Eclipse: When you will be working through the exercises, you will use Eclipse to create an application and deploy it to App Engine, with the identity of the user logged in to Eclipse. Here is how to do it:
1. Launch Eclipse and login using the same gmail.com address
2. In the bottom left corner of Eclipse (status bar), you’ll see your login area. Click on this Sign In area to change to a different user if necessary. Note: You may need to logoff a previous user first.
Looking forward to see you all,
Google Cloud Software Architect // DoIT