Urban Atlanta Get Up and Get Out Message Board › Determining Volleyball Skill Level

Determining Volleyball Skill Level

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 8
Hey, for those that are interested in playing volleyball I thought it'd be helpful to share how to determine your skill level. Most open gyms and tournaments have different skill levels to keep games competitive. The five primary levels of adult volleyball competitiveness are Beginner, B, BB, A, and AA. Here are some descriptions I found from the USAVolleyball (the United States' governing body for adult non-professional volleyball), the Atlanta Volleyball Meetup, and in another forum­.

Picnic ball/Jungle ball/ping pong ball- He/she knocked the ball around at a bbq - but never played in an organized volleyball match or tournament before.

Recreational-­ A "Recreational" player is a Beginner. This player played volleyball in gym class back in the day, and a few times since but never played in an organized volleyball league. A Recreational player should know the basics of volleyball, but he/she is just beginning to bump, set, and spike.

B- A "B" player is still in the early learning stages of the game and knows the skills. A "B" player knows how to bump, set (a little), and spike and may have played some high school or club growing up. But a "B" player has a lot of practice yet to go to be able to do these skills consistently. A "B" player makes mistakes often.

BB- A "BB" player knows where to be on the court at all times when plays are developing. He/she knows where to be when the opponent is hitting. A "BB" player knows the footwork of and how to approach hitting effectively. A "BB" player knows how to run a 5-1, a 6-2, and needlessly, a 4-2. To see videos of BB level volleyball click here­ or here­. He/she has played competitively at a high level in the past, and continue to play in leagues and tournaments multiple times a year. This player has a position(s) that they generally play.

A-An "A" player is somewhere between "BB" and "AA". They know all the skills extremely well but cannot always execute the super-high level plays extremely effectively all the time. "A" players can run combination plays in a basic way if passes are good. That includes slides, tandems, x's, crosses, and back-row hitting.

AA- Nearly Olympic. Or at least able to dig an Olympic Player's attack hit or able to once in a while put a ball down as a hitter against an Olympic Team. OK. No one can ever put a ball down against an Olympic defense. But an adult AA team of players would be able to beat a college Division I team of their same sex at least some of the time.

I hope this is helpful for folks. I've been told regionally that these levels will vary but for the most part this is what I've experienced playing in Georgia.
A former member
Post #: 2
Very helpful. Thank you!
Emma
user 10124365
Kennesaw, GA
Post #: 4
Thanks a lot. This really helped. I'm definitely a recreational player lol.
A former member
Post #: 13
Thanks for the insight. I would be a 'B' player. I played in HS 10 yrs ago and haven't really played in an organized fashion since then.