Matheran is a city and a Hill Station municipal council in Raigad district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a hill station in Karjat Tahsil and is also the smallest hill station in India. It is located on the Western Ghats range at an elevation of around 800 m (2,625 feet) above sea level. It is located around 90 km from Mumbai, and 120 km from Pune. Matheran's proximity to the three Metros makes it a popular weekend getaway for urban residents. The name Matheran means either "forest on top" or "mother forest".
Moving in Matheran
The only modes of transport, on the red soiled roads, are on horseback or by man-pulled rickshaw or on foot. It is one of the only places in Asia where all vehicles are banned which makes the place unique. And We will enjoy every where on the foot.
18° 55' N, 73° 15' E
At an elevation of about 800m (2,625 ft) above Mean Sea Level.
Asia's only pedestrian hill station is situated near Mumbai in the Western Ghats
5000 acres or eight sq miles
Matheran has cool and moderate climate. During monsoon rainfall is heavy but with different charm for enjoyment. The climate after the rains is very pleasant. In the summer the temperature changes between 20° C & 30°C. In the winter between 12°C & 25°C.
Level with sparse undulations. The topmost layer of rock is of soft porous iron-clay with abundant small black boulders. The surface is
covered by red soil with less humus.
About our trek.
We will have the luxury of civil amenities as we will stay in Hotel Girivihar/Lakeview. Only vegetarian food ( Maybe typical Gujarati food) will be arranged by the Hotel.
Thus staying will be easy and be prepared for medium to difficult trekking depending on group capacity. ( Medium - 15 -18 Km per day trek - Difficult - 18 - 20 kms per day with climbing up & down the Matheran Hill.)
Children & fresh new comers may find the trek difficult & thus not advised to join the trek.
We will start from Nampalli station on 9 Aug 2013 FRIDAY by Train No 17032 MUMBAI EXP. at 8.40 pm
10 Aug 2013 SATURDAY 11.00 A.M Reach Karjat
10 Aug 2013 SATURDAY 11:30 A.M Local transport to Ambe wadi
10 Aug 2013 SATURDAY 12:00 P.M proceed to Matheran enroute Lunch
10 Aug 2013 SATURDAY 06:30 P.M Reach Giri Vihar
10 Aug 2013 SATURDAY 08:00 P.M Dinner and Sleep
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 04:00 A.M Wake Up Call
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 05:00 A.M Start Trek to Sun rise Point (7KMS Up hill & 7 KMS Down Hill)
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 09:00 A.M Reach Giri Vihar, Break fast, Rest
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 10:00 A.M Trek to Alexander Point, Chowk Point, Charlotte Lake
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 02:00 P.M Back to GIri Vihar, Lunch, rest (Total trek 7-8 kms)
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 04:00 P.M Trek to Echo Point then to Market, shopping etc
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 08:00 P.M Reach Giri Vihar, Dinner, Camp fire
11 Aug 2013 SUNDAY 10:00 P.M Sleep
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 05:00 A.M Wake Up Call
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 06:00 A.M Break fast
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 07:00 A.M Trek to Garbut Point
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 12:30 P.M Reach Bhiv Puri Station and catch local train to Karjat
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 01:30 P.M Reach Karjat
12 Aug 2013 MONDAY 02:25 P.M Catch Train No 17031 HYDERABAD EXP to HYD
13 Aug 2013 TUESDAY 06:00 A.M Reach Nampally Station
Reach Hyderabad by 13 Aug 2013 TUESDAY at 6.00 A.M by Hyderabad Exp.Train no 17031
Amount payable -[masked] approx. (Including Staying & food except food during train travel.)
All GHAC rules apply (http://meetup.ghac.in...)
1) No smoking and no alcohol
2) No littering, no pollution of water
3) Ladies and gents accommodation is separate
4) We carry Basic First Aid and if you need anything you can ask the organizers
5) If you feel unwell bring to the notice of the organizers immediately.
Things to Bring
1) A good and positive mood
2) 2 Thick Cotton pants/ trousers or jeans - full length (TO save against Bruises) & 3 T-shirt / Shirt ( Better way to say - Clothes for - train - 2 night travel, 2 nights stay at Hotel & 2-3 days for medium / hard trekking)
4) Sun hat/ screen (for the ladies and fair and handsome)
5) Walking /trekking /sport shoes preferably with anklets
6) Medicines as per your need
7) Tiffin Box to carry lunch or u can manage with a plastic cover or paper
8) Refreshments / chocolates / energy bars/ Energy Drinks
9) Water bottle - 2 Litres
10) Toiletries (tooth brush, paste, small towel/napkin, comb, shampoo)
11) Photo Id (Passport, Employee/College Id, Pan card/Election Card/ Driving License) with a xerox copy
12) A rucksack / haversack, in other words a bag u can put all your stuff in and hang on your back, try to keep the bag as light as possible.
13) 2 Labled emergency Notes with your name and address, phone numbers, emergency contact name and number, Blood Group, doctors name and number, with information on any medicines you take and any allergies you have with food or medicines, keep 1 in pocket and 1 in bag.
14)Will be staying in hotel so sleeping bag etc. not required.
16) Disclaimer Print, Sign and submit to the Organizer at Nampally Station (http://files.meetup.c...)
ACCOUNT HOLDER'S NAME: GREAT HYDERABAD ADVENTURE CLUB
BANK& BRANCH: ICICI, BANJARA HILLS
ACCOUNT TYPE: CURRENT
IFSC CODE: ICIC[masked]
Transaction Remark:[masked]_Your Name
Once you make the transfer, please post a comment with your Transaction Reference Number to get the confirmation of the same.
AVOID CASH DEPOSITS INTO THE ACCOUNT
You can also pay through credit card:
Contact: Swathi - [masked]
Krishna - [masked]