One of the best places to trek in India - Matheran
Matheran during monsoons gives a different charm. The mist all around and the greenery that you see is quite different from what you see here.
Matheran is a small hill station in Raigad district of Maharashtra. Located on the Western Ghats range at an elevation of around 800 m (2,625 feet) above sea level. It is located around 90 km from Mumbai, and 120 km from Pune. It is one of the most ecologically sensitive hill stations in the country and no form of motoroised transport is allowed. The name Matheran means either "forest on top" or "mother forest". Read more here: http://files.meetup.com/1166925/Trekking%20in%20Matheran.pdf
Moving around in Matheran
The only modes of transport, on the red soiled roads, are on horseback or by man-pulled rickshaw or on foot. It is one of the few places in the world where all motorised vehicles are banned which makes the place unique. That calls for trekking all the way.
Height : At an elevation of about 800m (2,625 ft) above Mean Sea Level.
Area : 5000 acres or eight sq miles
Matheran has cool and moderate climate. During monsoon rainfall is heavy and it provides a different charm. The climate after the rains is very pleasant.
Level with sparse undulations. The topmost layer of rock is of soft porous iron-clay with abundant small black boulders. The surface is covered by red soil with less humus.
About our trek
Itinerary (Subject to change depending on the weather and other local circumstances. Organisers word is final. We will try to cover the maximum scenic points)
Leave by Train No 17032 Mumbai Express which will depart from Nampally / Begumpet station at 8.40 pm
11 am: Reach Karjat
11:30 am: Local transport to Ambewadi village
12 noon: Start trek to Matheran.
6:30 pm: Reach Matheran, Get rooms.
8 pm: Dinner, Chat up and Sleep
4:30 am: Wake Up Call
5 am: Start Trek to Sunrise point (7 km uphill & 7 km downhill)
10 am: Trek to Garbat Point. (to and fro 8km from Market)
2pm Lunch and then
Trek to Alexander Point, Chowk Point, Charlotte Lake. (Total trek 7-8 kms) : Trek to Echo Point then to Market, Shopping etc (Your will get the best of jams, fudges, chikkis in the market)
8 pm: Back to room, Dinner.
5 am: Wake Up Call
5.30 am: Cover any of the places which we may not have covered the previous day.
7.30: Have breakfast and Start trek down
1:30 pm Reach Karjat
2 pm: HYDERABAD EXP (Train No 17031) to Hyderabad
4 am / 5 am 5.30 am: Reach Lingampally / Begumpet / Nampally Station.
We will stay in a budget hotel. Only vegetarian food will be arranged.
1) No smoking and no alcohol
2) No littering, no pollution of water
3) Ladies and gents accommodation is separate
4) We carry Basic First Aid and if you need anything you can ask the organizers
5) If you feel unwell bring to the notice of the organizers immediately.
Things to Bring
Take only what is essential in a backpack as as you will have to carry your backpack yourself from Ambewadi village to Matheran (uphill).
1. Three sets of T Shirts / Track suits (nylon will be better) / Windcheaters.
2. A towel
3. Rain Coat and Umbrella (which can be folded and fit into your bag).
4. Canvas shoes with rubber soles (You will get them in Lal Bazar).
5. A pair of slippers.
6. A torch.
7. Soaps and other toiletries as required.
8. Any medicines that you may require.
9. A small sling bag with water, juice, a handtowel, cap and some snacks. This bag will be the one you will carry when you trek from Ambewadi to Matheran.
10. Cell phone chargers (even though cell phone don't work in a better part of Matheran).
11. Two plastic bags to carry your fresh / used clothes and prevent it from getting wet. A plastic bag to cover your bag (It will be raining most of the time).
Payment: Rs. 3850/- (includes Stay in budget hotel - 2 dinners, 2 lunch and 2 breakfast) .
Excludes : Food in train (to and fro) and lunch on day 3 and Porters is at actuals and to be borne by the participants)
The train fares increased post this meetup. Hence the difference amount will be collected from all the participants.
Account Holder Name: Great Hyderabad Adventure Club
Account Type: Savings
Bank: AXIS BANK Road no:2, Banjarahills Branch
Branch: Road No 12, Banjara Hills
IFSC Code: UTIB[masked]
Transaction Remark:[masked]_Your Name
Once you make the transfer, please post a comment with your Transaction Reference Number to get the confirmation of the same.
AVOID CASH DEPOSITS INTO THE ACCOUNT
You can also make payment through Credit Card:
You can also pay through credit card:
1) Read the Complete page before doing RSVP
2) Trek for the fit
3) Difficulty Level: Difficult Grade (approx 45-50 kms trek in 3 days)
5) Your RSVP will not be considered if you do not provide answers to all the questions
6) This a monsoon Trek...You might get wet during the hike
You can go through previous Matheran Meetup pages here:
Matheran Trek 01-04 Oct 2010: http://meetup.ghac.in/events/14313478/
Matheran Trek 18-20 Feb 2011: http://meetup.ghac.in/events/17026250/
Contact: Girinath Reddy [masked])
Rajani P. [masked])
Come along, let us trek to Matheran.