One of the best places to trek in India - Matheran
Matheran is a small hill station in Raigad district of Maharashtra. Located on the Western Ghats range at an elevation of around 800 m (2,625 feet) above sea level. It is located around 90 km from Mumbai, and 120 km from Pune. It is one of the most ecologically sensitive hill stations in the country and no form of motoroised transport is allowed. The name Matheran means either "forest on top" or "mother forest".
Moving around in Matheran
The only modes of transport, on the red soiled roads, are on horseback or by man-pulled rickshaw or on foot. It is one of the few places in the world where all motorised vehicles are banned which makes the place unique. That calls for trekking all the way.
18° 55' N, 73° 15' E
At an elevation of about 800m (2,625 ft) above Mean Sea Level.
5000 acres or eight sq miles
Matheran has cool and moderate climate.
During monsoon rainfall is heavy and it provides a different charm
. The climate after the rains is very pleasant.
Level with sparse undulations. The topmost layer of rock is of soft porous iron-clay with abundant small black boulders. The surface is covered by red soil with less humus.
About our trek
We will stay in Hotel Girivihar (https://www.facebook.com/giriviharhotelmatheran). Only vegetarian food (maybe typical Gujarati food) will be arranged by the Hotel.
1) No smoking and no alcohol
2) No littering, no pollution of water
3) Ladies and gents accommodation is separate
4) We carry Basic First Aid and if you need anything you can ask the organizers
5) If you feel unwell bring to the notice of the organizers immediately.
Things to Bring
Take only what is essential as your bag will have to be carried up from Ambewadi village to Matheran by porters.
1. Three sets of T Shirts / Track suits (nylon will be better) / Windcheaters.
2. A towel
3. Rain Coat and Umbrella (which can be folded and fit into your bag).
4. Canvas shoes with rubber soles (You will get them in Lal Bazar).
5. A pair of slippers.
6. A torch.
7. Soaps and other toiletries as required.
8. Any medicines that you may require.
9. A small sling bag with water, juice, a hand towel, cap and some snacks. This bag will be the one you will carry when you trek from Ambewadi to Matheran.
10. Cell phone chargers (even though cell phone don't work in a better part of Matheran.
11. Two plastic bags to carry your fresh / used clothes and prevent it from getting wet. A plastic bag to cover your bag (It will be raining most of the time).
Payment details: AXIS BANK
Great Hyderabad Adventure Club
IFCS Code: UTIB[masked]
Road no:2, Banjarahills Branch
Its a Savings account.
Transaction/Payment Remark:[masked]_your name
After making the payment, mention the Transaction Reference No. in the comments along with the date of the Transaction details. NO cash deposits please.
You can pay through credit card:
1) Read the Complete page before doing RSVP
2) Trek for Adults (Age 18+ years)
3) Difficulty Level: Difficult Grade (approx 45-50 kms trek in 3 days)
5) Your RSVP will not be considered if you do not provide answers to all the questions
6) This a monsoon Trek...You might get wet during the hike
Pics from July 2013 GHAC Matheran trek: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.581893198529645.1073741966.111818152203821&type=3
For any queries please text or email:
maneesh kp @[masked]
Come along, let us trek to Matheran.